Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:46 PM   #1

Sorry, this is the second time i've posted this question on this forum, but I know that the Panapeople are cooler so maybe you guys have better advice...

For those of you that are of the Canadian persuassion and have ordered products from B&H can you answer me a simple question:

Can I expect to pay many $$$ in duty charges for the products that I order? My bill will most likely be in the $200 - $300 range and I don't want to be stuck with astronomical duty charges... I'm pretty sure that they DON'T use UPS so that is good (lying, cheating, money grubbing bastards)... but Canadia n duty charges may be incurred regardless...

I'll be saving over $50 if I order from B&H over Henry's Photo or any other camera shop that I know about... anyone have any suggestions on Canadian retailers that are on par with B&H?

ps - i know that was not a simple question... mine never are...

Thank you for looking at this question again,
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

Hi there Nigel. I bought a lens through B&H, and there was no duty. Just pst, and gst, and shipping charges. B&H were great. The lens I bought was poor, and I sent it back with no problem. Only thing is, if you do return something, you have to apply to the gov't for your gst and pst refund, and that takes a while. Also, you'll get dinged for shipping both ways. I don't think there are any duty charges on photo equipment coming from the U.S. to Canada.......good luck.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:08 AM   #3
DGC

Hi Nigel

I have considered the option of buying at B&H or others and shipping to Canada but am hard pressed to make the case. I have not gone throught the process but can't see a $50 saving as remotely worth while.

With free trade, most products come across the border duty free. However consider:

1: 15% or so US exchange
2: Shipping charges which can become very significant
3: PST and GST charges as your purchase comes into Ontario
4: Charges from a customs broker who clears your product.

As I say, I don't know the exact numbers but I would think that you better have a hell of a saving to go to the trouble.

Dave
DGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:49 AM   #4
spy

THERE IS NO DUTY ON CAMERA EQUIPMENT COMING TO CANADA FROM THE US. I phoned customs myself and asked that very question. Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassel for a $50 dollar savings. Spend the extra and get local service and personal advice, that can be priceless.

The other cost to consider is warrenty service on an item bought in the US needing repair in Canada. You may need to buy extra warrenty protection.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:31 AM   #5

Hi Nigel:

I live in St. Catharines, ON and although I haven't ordered rom B&H I have purchased from other outlets in the US. I totally agree about UPS and I will never do business with companies that use their "service". When I got my FZ15 earlier this year the company I dealt with, CompuPlus in New Jersey, shipped via FedEx. I paid a flat $7.50 fee for all the brokerage, plus, of course, I paid shipping fees. Then I had to pay Canadian taxes but there were no import duties. I was very impressed with FedEx and if I ever have to purchase stateside again, I will use them. Hope this is of some use.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:34 AM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hi there Nigel. I bought a lens through B&H, and there was no duty. Just pst, and gst, and shipping charges. B&H were great. The lens I bought was poor, and I sent it back with no problem. Only thing is, if you do return something, you have to apply to the gov't for your gst and pst refund, and that takes a while. Also, you'll get dinged for shipping both ways. I don't think there are any duty charges on photo equipment coming from the U.S. to Canada.......good luck.......thekman.
Thank you all for your suggestions... $50 really isn't that big of a savings... but it looks like B&H is the only place i can get a hama style hood, so i may have to send an order through anyways...

Thekman,

What exactly do you mean by "lens I bought was poor"? You mean the lens itself or the condition of the lens?

Thanks all!
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:17 PM   #7

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, this is the second time i've posted this question on this forum, but I know that the Panapeople are cooler so maybe you guys have better advice...

For those of you that are of the Canadian persuassion and have ordered products from B&H can you answer me a simple question:

Can I expect to pay many $$$ in duty charges for the products that I order? My bill will most likely be in the $200 - $300 range and I don't want to be stuck with astronomical duty charges... I'm pretty sure that they DON'T use UPS so that is good (lying, cheating, money grubbing bastards)... but Canadia n duty charges may be incurred regardless...

I'll be saving over $50 if I order from B&H over Henry's Photo or any other camera shop that I know about... anyone have any suggestions on Canadian retailers that are on par with B&H?

ps - i know that was not a simple question... mine never are...

Thank you for looking at this question again,
Nigel
YES, you will be hit with duties one rate for Camera accessories HS Tariff #900691 and a higher rate on lenses #900211.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:57 PM   #8

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions... $50 really isn't that big of a savings... but it looks like B&H is the only place i can get a hama style hood, so i may have to send an order through anyways...

Thekman,

What exactly do you mean by "lens I bought was poor"? You mean the lens itself or the condition of the lens?

Thanks all!
Nigel
The lens was I think defective, and it was not OEM. Very bad ca's up to f/8, and did not warrant the cost. It was a tokina f/2.8 80-200mm and was way cheaper than anything I could buy up here in Canada. But, it didn'twork wellwith my dslr, so sent it back. Image quality didn't warrant the cost.....Oh, you don't have to worry about brokerage fees with any purchase from the U.S. if they send it by U.S. mail. Just make sure they don't use UPS, as I've had other products sent from the U.S. by them, and got dinged pretty hefty brokerage fees........hope this helps....thekman.

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:01 PM   #9

hitmanx,

If you are just going to order the hood then I would try these guys

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_17_45

I live in BC and order a hood from them last year. Flat rate shipping to Canada and I did not pay any duty or taxes. The hood is great quality and they followed up to ensure I was happy with the product.
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:27 AM   #10

Do no Canadians find it strange that there are NO REASONABLE camera stores ? We have to order every thing from the US since the Canadain stores only know how to RIP YOU OFF. Are you listening Merkel, Henrys', Aden, Blacks ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote