Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:00 PM   #1

I am planning on going to a see a friend perform in his group/band in a hall and will be taking my camera, now the only problem is, no flash photography is allowed.

So any top tips for the shoot, given that it will be late evening, the only lighting will be on the stage and the group will obviously be moving, how can I get enough light into the camera and keep the shutter speed fast enough??

Do I push it up to ISO 400 and endure the noise and zoom in and hope enough light gets in to keep the shutter speed up?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Chris
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:33 AM   #2

You might try F2.8 - 125sec. - 200 or 400. Pictures below were taken with these settings. Only two darkest ones were at 400 and turned out well.They were alllightened and clarifyed with PSPx. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Don

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:05 PM   #3

Replied in your link by mistake! Oooops

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...417155#p417155
Old Dec 2, 2005, 9:07 PM   #4

I have an FZ15. Hand held shots with 2x zoom or below on all shots. The further you zoom the less light you will have to work with, but at 3x and down it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. You might need to slow down to 1/100 sec or even 1/80 sec. if you are zooming to 10 or 12x. On the FZ-15 & 20 there is a Metering Mode in the Menu. It has three choices, Multiple- measures brighteness over the whole screen, Center weighted mode, focus on the subject on the center of the screen but measures the whole screen and the Spot Mode that measures brightness on the subject in the spot only. Multiple metering is a little slower but I think, better in low light shots because it measures the light over a larger area and compesates for lack of light and you don't always want your subject centered in the picture.I normally use spot mode with out side shots. I also shot one scene in continous shots for the whole scene. It made for a nice CD of the solo dance my grandaughter did.Camera took just under 2 fps through the complete scene, about 850 shots.

Good Luck, - Don
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:57 PM   #5

Many thanks for your help, I will post any 'worthy' shots!

Cheers

Chris
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:01 PM   #6

Chris, I got the settings on this forum just like you did. Just sent in the question before the Ballet and BAM!!! it's magic! My Grandkids, that danced in the Ballet think I'm a hero.

Don
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:16 PM   #7

All this talk of night shooting has inspired me to try more in the evenings, given the fact that it is dark when I go to work and dark when I get back, I was begining to become a weekend only guy! Anyhow, had a go at some low light stuff, F3.6, 1/30 ISO 80, still handheld with the IS set to 1 (I am hoping this works, never uploaded before!
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8

Niceclear shot for hand held at 1 sec. The only time I try low light shots is when my Grandkids have something going. As I learn it is opening up new possiblitied though. If you use a tripod you will be able to really get some nice shots. What is that a picture of? Couldn't figure it out.

Don
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:40 PM   #9

Thankyou, its a marble Horses head, ornament sat in the living room.