Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:57 PM   #1

Hi there. Thanks to all for help on a previous camera purchase. Well, now Wife wants a new camera too.:-)

Wife wants a Panasonic camera that takes great photos, is relatively small (unlike my new FZ30:G) and most importantly has great image stabilization because she has rheumatoid arthritis and it is hard for her to hold a camera steady.:?

So, please make suggestions. We do not have anywhere nearby to look at cameras so must rely on suggestions and internet shopping.

Thanks again and best wishes, O
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2

if Wife also wants the 12x lens, i'd suggest an FZ5. it's much more compact than the FZ30, much lighter, but still offers 5MP resolution and 12x zoom, withimage stabilization. there are a number of folks here with FZ5's who can attest to the quality of the images it produces, as well as the handling characteristics.

if she's looking for something smaller still, more of a pocket point-n-shoot, perhaps one of Panasonic'spocket digitalcameras would be an option. the newer ones have OIS, and most are 3-5MP, but have only 3-4x zoom lenses and fewer manual controls. here's a link to the Panasonic site with models that are available, and suggested retail prices.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

i can't say anything about the compact models, the only one i own is an old (2003?) DMC-LC43, which is no longer available. it takes nice photos, but has no OIS. i don't use it much, because i do most of my work with my FZ20... :G perhaps others on the forum can give you recommendations about these compact pocket models if that's what Wife is interested in...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:02 AM   #3

I have a FZ30, my wife don't like it because it is "huge". But she loves the OIS and picture quality. She was looking for great a compact camera.

I bougth her a Panasinic Lumix LZ2. Great compact camera, 5 MP, OIS, Zoom 6X

And if your wife has used your FZ-30, she will feel in home with the menus. They are practically the same.

I really recommend you this camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/lz2.html

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #4

I bought that same one for my sister for her graduation from High School present. She loves it, and is addicted. I get to see all sorts of interesting pictures from her college life. The pictures are clear and sharp (altho not as nice as some higher-end panasonics), and it has good zoom. The LZ2 is a good camera in my opinion (and hers). Oh, it's also pretty inexpensive. The only thing I really don't like is the AA batteries. She goes through them quickly...
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:33 AM   #5

If your wife wants the image stabilized 12x ultra zoom of the fz30 in a smaller package, the fz4 or fz5 is the way to go. If the 4mp andthe lack of sound for video mode are not of concern, you can save about $80 getting the fz4.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:01 AM   #6

Will.Blaschko escribió:
Quote:
The only thing I really don't like is the AA batteries. She goes through them quickly...
It could be very useful. Just purchase 4 rechargable batteries and thats it. If you are in a trip and run out of batteries, just go to the nearest store and buy some.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote