Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:29 PM   #11

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife, there are a lot of items listed on that auction. Quite frankly I am not quite sure what it is that one is getting for $40. Is it just one 55/52 T-ring? What about the 55/58 step-up ring to silicone my DCR6600 into as you described in another thread? What is the difference between a step-down and a T-ring? Does one cause vignetting when stepping down from 55 to 52 mm, but the other doesn't? Sorry,a whole lot of questions. But really that listing you linked me to isquite confusing.
The normal step-down ring adds between 3.8 - 4.1mm offset to the front of the camera bezel. That is because the smaller set of threads is positioned outside or in front of the 55mm threads. The TRing has the smaller threads nestled inside the larger threads allowing the displacement to be. 92mm.

thank you. That explains it. I will order the TRing as soon as I sell my FZ20 and order the FZ30.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:07 AM   #12

LoveLife wrote:

Quote:
The UV is a lens protector and most people do not use UVs on macro lenses. This is close quarters photography and the macro is not being subjected to the normal everyday exposure. Actual UV protection occurs at altitudes above 3000 feet but the way we are destroying the planet this could change.

I checked the 55-52mm TRing and it does not cause vignetting or interfere with the Panasonic hood operation. I mounted a filter and hood with good results. If you are going to go this route I suggest you purchase a 52mm Hama style hood. Search eBay for "52mm Hama hood" When you use the TCON17 take everything off in one piece.
Okay... but I'm speaking of the UV filter as a protector... so would there be a problem in getting a 52mm UV filter? I think you may have aswered this question but i don't quite understand your answer... when you say "mounted a filter and hood with good results " did you mean you checked a 52mm filter with a nikon? I'm not sure where the hood comes into the question...

thanks for bearing with me though
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:45 AM   #13

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:

Quote:
The UV is a lens protector and most people do not use UVs on macro lenses. This is close quarters photography and the macro is not being subjected to the normal everyday exposure. Actual UV protection occurs at altitudes above 3000 feet but the way we are destroying the planet this could change.

I checked the 55-52mm TRing and it does not cause vignetting or interfere with the Panasonic hood operation. I mounted a filter and hood with good results. If you are going to go this route I suggest you purchase a 52mm Hama style hood. Search eBay for "52mm Hama hood" When you use the TCON17 take everything off in one piece.
Okay... but I'm speaking of the UV filter as a protector... so would there be a problem in getting a 52mm UV filter? I think you may have aswered this question but i don't quite understand your answer... when you say "mounted a filter and hood with good results " did you mean you checked a 52mm filter with a nikon? I'm not sure where the hood comes into the question...

thanks for bearing with me though
Nigel
Good mechanical results no interference. Leica>55mm UV> 55mm LP >55-52mm TRing and Panasonic hood. I did not have 52mm filters and wanted to see if there was a vignetting problem;there was none. I would never use this configuration to take pictures but the TRing with the 52mm center that far away from the lens did not interfere at 1X.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:55 AM   #14

Why would you never take pictures with that configuration, because that is the configuration I am about to get?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:36 AM   #15

Will I be able to use Panasonic supplied hood with 62mm filter?

Thanks.
skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:37 AM   #16

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
Will I be able to use Panasonic supplied hood with 62mm filter?

Thanks.
No, it does not clear any62mm frame. There are hoods that work better then the supplied Panasonic. Check out this hood on eBay search " hama 62mm hood". It may not be as pretty, made of rubber and has 3 positions, but it works better.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:52 AM   #17

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Why would you never take pictures with that configuration, because that is the configuration I am about to get?
Putting all these items on the camera at the same time can cause internal flaring and suits no purpose. The UV is a lens protector at normal altitudes. The PL is cutting down on glare and increasing color saturation and being on the camera also functions as a lens protector.

I do not know what size you are deciding on so here are more useful configurations:

FZ30>55mm UV >Panasonic hood.

FZ30>55mm PL >Panasonic hood.

FZ30>55-52mm TRing>52mm UV>Panasonic hood.

FZ30>55-52mm TRing>52mm PL>Panasonic hood.

Both these configurations work with the existing Panasonic hood.

BTW, PL stands for linear polarizer; the FZ30 does not need the more expensive circular polarizer.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:27 PM   #18

Oh, I was just talking about the 55/52 Tring with alternately the UV, Polarizer, Nikon 4T OR the DCR6600. Any of those individually should work fine with the Tring on the FZ30,correct?By the way, I ended up ordering it last night from Buydig at $539 with free shipping. Couldn't resist. I printed out some letter sized sample pics from Steve's site and compared to the same printouts I made from the Canon EOS-D20, and there simply is no visible difference.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:32 PM   #19

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I was just talking about the 55/52 Tring with alternately the UV, Polarizer, Nikon 4T OR the DCR6600. Any of those individually should work fine with the Tring on the FZ30,correct?By the way, I ended up ordering it last night from Buydig at $539 with free shipping. Couldn't resist. I printed out some letter sized sample pics from Steve's site and compared to the same printouts I made from the Canon EOS-D20, and there simply is no visible difference.
Yes and enjoy your new camera; lots of baby pictures.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:48 PM   #20

Okay... it's almost coming together...

How about:

FZ30 > 55-52mm TRing > 52mm UV > Hama 52mm hood

or

FZ30 > 55-52mm TRing > 52mm UV > Nikon 4T > Hama 52mm Hood

Now, wouldn't using 52mm accessories on a camera that was designed with 55mm treads create problems?

Does anyone make a good lens cap to fit 52mm accessories?

Thanks,
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote