Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:51 AM   #1

So, after going back and forth, I am now seriously considering upgrading from the FZ20 to FZ30. I think the positive megapixel.net review might have finally won me over. But I have a few add on lenses and filters to fit on the 52 mm Raynox adapter, such as a polarizer and the Nikon 4t. Can I easily use these if I can a 52/52 step down ring or would there be any vignetting? And I also want to be able to use my DCR6600 wide angle converter. Who was doing the silicone-inside-a-52/58 mm-step-up-ring-concoction again - LoveLife? I want to try that. Please advise.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:00 AM   #2

Sorry to butt in, I have a similar question can I use 62mm filter such as polarizer and ND filters on FZ30? Would it cause vignetting or noticeable decrease in image quality?

Thanks.

skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:29 AM   #3

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to butt in, I have a similar question can I use 62mm filter such as polarizer and ND filters on FZ30? Would it cause vignetting or noticeable decrease in image quality?

Thanks.

Going with a step-up ring for larger filters will not cause loss of image quality or vignetting. Professional photographers have been using this technique for years. It saves them money because they would need a complete set of filters for all their lenses and cameras. They usually get complete sets in two sizes.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:34 AM   #4

rduve wrote:
Quote:
So, after going back and forth, I am now seriously considering upgrading from the FZ20 to FZ30. I think the positive megapixel.net review might have finally won me over. But I have a few add on lenses and filters to fit on the 52 mm Raynox adapter, such as a polarizer and the Nikon 4t. Can I easily use these if I can a 55/52 step down ring or would there be any vignetting? And I also want to be able to use my DCR6600 wide angle converter. Who was doing the silicone-inside-a-52/58 mm-step-up-ring-concoction again - LoveLife? I want to try that. Please advise.
Check out this link for special 55-52mm TRing. http://tinyurl.com/c63p7
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:19 PM   #5

LoveLife, there are a lot of items listed on that auction. Quite frankly I am not quite sure what it is that one is getting for $40. Is it just one 55/52 T-ring? What about the 55/58 step-up ring to silicone my DCR6600 into as you described in another thread? What is the difference between a step-down and a T-ring? Does one cause vignetting when stepping down from 55 to 52 mm, but the other doesn't? Sorry,a whole lot of questions. But really that listing you linked me to isquite confusing.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:48 PM   #6

Oh, I see after looking at your sample pictures, it seems like the T-ring would work with the DCR6600 and not cause any vignetting. Way to go, eh? For the $40 that's what you get is one 55/52 T-ring?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:49 PM   #7

rduve,

I just ordered one of those Special 55-52mm TRings last night! I needed it so that I can add a Nikon 4T to my new FZ30...

You can find the ordering intructions somewhere near the bottom of the page... It's not technically an auction, but more of an advertisement... read it again... i just ended up sending him a payment through paypal ($20CAD)... all in all a fine way to do business for hopefully a great product!

But a question to Lovelife:

I still haven't purchased a UV adapter because I am unsure as to what size to get...
I was gonna purchase a HOYA 55MM S-HMC UV FILTER, but now I'm not sure... should i even use a UV filter with the Nikon 4T? I really don't wanna be putting on the TRing with out some form of lens protection... what if i scratched the lens with that little key thing you put it on with???

Should I just keep the TRing on all the time and just get a 52mm UV filter or any other 52mm filters and just switch them up when I need them?

I have noticed that the physical lens diameter for the FZ30 is smaller than the FZ20 so maybe using 52mm filters wouldn't be so bad... but then again i did want to get a tcon17 later... i don't know... oh so complicated...:?

thanks,
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:59 PM   #8

Gene's (genece) siliconed 55-58mm step-up ring work upcan befoundhere (#23).

Lovelife's 55-52mm Tring is $15.25 + 2.15 s/h for a total of $17.40 as shown here.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:00 PM   #9

rduve wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife, there are a lot of items listed on that auction. Quite frankly I am not quite sure what it is that one is getting for $40. Is it just one 55/52 T-ring? What about the 55/58 step-up ring to silicone my DCR6600 into as you described in another thread? What is the difference between a step-down and a T-ring? Does one cause vignetting when stepping down from 55 to 52 mm, but the other doesn't? Sorry,a whole lot of questions. But really that listing you linked me to isquite confusing.
The normal step-down ring adds between 3.8 - 4.1mm offset to the front of the camera bezel. That is because the smaller set of threads is positioned outside or in front of the 55mm threads. The TRing has the smaller threads nestled inside the larger threads allowing the displacement to be. 92mm.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:18 PM   #10

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
rduve,

I just ordered one of those Special 55-52mm TRings last night! I needed it so that I can add a Nikon 4T to my new FZ30...

You can find the ordering intructions somewhere near the bottom of the page... It's not technically an auction, but more of an advertisement... read it again... i just ended up sending him a payment through paypal ($20CAD)... all in all a fine way to do business for hopefully a great product!

But a question to Lovelife:

I still haven't purchased a UV adapter because I am unsure as to what size to get...
I was gonna purchase a HOYA 55MM S-HMC UV FILTER, but now I'm not sure... should i even use a UV filter with the Nikon 4T? I really don't wanna be putting on the TRing with out some form of lens protection... what if i scratched the lens with that little key thing you put it on with???

Should I just keep the TRing on all the time and just get a 52mm UV filter or any other 52mm filters and just switch them up when I need them?

I have noticed that the physical lens diameter for the FZ30 is smaller than the FZ20 so maybe using 52mm filters wouldn't be so bad... but then again i did want to get a tcon17 later... i don't know... oh so complicated...:?

thanks,
Nigel
The UV is a lens protector and most people do not use UVs on macro lenses. This is close quarters photography and the macro is not being subjected to the normal everyday exposure. Actual UV protection occurs at altitudes above 3000 feet but the way we are destroying the planet this could change.

I checked the 55-52mm TRing and it does not cause vignetting or interfere with the Panasonic hood operation. I mounted a filter and hood with good results. If you are going to go this route I suggest you purchase a 52mm Hama style hood. Search eBay for "52mm Hama hood" When you use the TCON17 take everything off in one piece.