Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:18 AM   #11

thanks Don,

these lego bricks helped me with my macro studio, remote wire/pneumatic release and a perfect external flash connector for the FZ5. I wanted to use them for prototyping, but these are perfectsolutions for me.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:41 AM   #12

Congratulations Sven

you are really pushing it to the extremes; and this is contagious.

Anyway it's a pity that(logaritmic) curve is so (half)hyperbolic shaped so that the increment in diopters only produced a very slight decrease of themaximum width of the frame which can be captured.

I mean you get 1,9cm of horizontal frame with +4,9 diopter (5T + 6T), then with a 4 times increment in diopter (+20) you only get about the half of FOV (1cm horiz. frame).
No possibility to go up without heavy expenses in new powerful diopters
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:58 AM   #13

Hi Francesco,
thanks for your answer.
you said: " No possibility to go up without heavy expenses in new powerful diopters"
This is my reversed lens table:

50mm = +20 diopt.
35mm = +29 diopt.
28mm = +36 diopt.
16mm = +63 diopt.

50mm to 28mm are fixed focus standard SLR lenses - reversed. Very cheap today!
But you will have trouble with distance, light and DOF with high diopters.
I prefer enlarging lenses for this purpose - eg. rodagon or componon 4/50mm they are not so heavy, optimized for short distances and cheap (ebay - f/2.8 lenses are used today for enlarging purposes, F/4 is enough for us - we use f/8, price around 15€ used). Your have to use the full zoom (12*) with these lenses, restricting our range even more!
With 16mm (microsopic type) lens only half of the compound eye of a mosquito is in focus with my equipment! The distance is close to zero.

So stay with your nikons and perhaps try to reverse a 50mm lens lateron.....
Sven

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:03 PM   #14

Sven amazing work with those closeups and your setup shows great resourcefullness

I have used my old Minolta 55mm f1.4 in reverse with the FZ1 for macros but DOF is tiny but it works well.

You prefer enlarging lenses and yes for good reason they are optimised for close distances I used to use my Nikon 50mm f2.8 El Nikkor enlarging lens with my SLR on a bellows with my Minolta SLR that Nikon lens was very sharp very close to Rodagon ....
How do you use the Rodagon in reverse or normal and how do you mount it / adapt it to the FZ5.

Reverse is better for very close distances to the subject.

John

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:14 AM   #15

Hi John,

the nikon enlarging lens is very similar to the rodagon type. The lenses are symetric, there is no optical reason to reverse them. But the rear lens offers more opportunities for front illuminiation. My 35mm has to be reversed. 50,60mm is reversed sometimes. 80mm componon and 150, 210mm gerogon-apo will not be reversed.

I am using a rubber coated system designed for fixing water pipes toapply any kind of object in front of my camera: lenses,heavy teleconverters, spy glass, objects....... You can see these in the picture above and in my carnival thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

For outdoor use, there are 39mm Leica Adapters. I am using the housing of my old variable macro lens. There is a thread for enlarging lenses inside and you can adjust the distance with this part.

But! reversed SLR lenses can be used too, you don't need such an expensive type: 1,4/50mm - a cheap one is ok, tessar e.a. - we need f:4 or F:8 anyway. I like my old pentax takumar 28mm for this purpose.

I am working on improved DOF now, but there are limits - diffraction is waiting to spoil my results. We will see...

Sven

Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:45 AM   #16

this is a late addition....
But I promised to get real close!
This is, where the story ends with my 35mm reversed lens (12* + digizoom)

..and this is where my Leitz microscope takes over
FZ5 - 12* zoom, 6*ocular, 10* objective

Digiscoping with the FZ5!
I have to train this. There is more than 2mm of "blurring" amber in front of the fungus gnat. So I have to be pleased with this first result.

Sven

This theme is continued here:

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:07 PM   #17

Sven Great pictures of insects in amber. I am new to digital photo (FZ5). Used M3 & Visoflex Leica equipment prior. Collect Amber in NJ. Pictures on web site, if you are interested. Don't know how to send to you or how to put up pictures on line. I have on computer but were taken with analog video and transferred to digital.

Also what type of flash slave are you using on the Pany with the Lego blocks. Would like to get back to taking close up with a flash.

Stan
amberbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:35 PM   #18

thanks for your first (!) reply in this forum Stan (amberbug),

I would like to see your results too.
You can contact me via [email protected]

I did not use flashes with the amber pictures, the results are unpredictable!
You see LED lights (used for bicycles) torches and halogene lights on the pictures.
I am working with flashes, as you can see here:
http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/light/light.html
Here are some more amber shots:
http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/pictures/amber.html

Sven

my new FZ5 homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/index.html

amberbug wrote:
Quote:
Sven Great pictures of insects in amber. I am new to digital photo (FZ5). Used M3 & Visoflex Leica equipment prior. Collect Amber in NJ. Pictures on web site, if you are interested. Don't know how to send to you or how to put up pictures on line. I have on computer but were taken with analog video and transferred to digital.

Also what type of flash slave are you using on the Pany with the Lego blocks. Would like to get back to taking close up with a flash.

Stan
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:10 AM   #19

Thanks Sven

I ll soon give a look at your page.

This has beena tremendouslumix week for me, with 3 excursions and Roma Photo-Digital Expo in 8 days. Will have to post a lot now.
Found a Canon 50mm for 15€ and already did some macros
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote