Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #1

I'm just an amateur whobought a FZ30 on Friday and spent the weekend taking some photos. I've read the owners manual but I need to read it again, there's too much in it to absorb all at once (like what to do when the subject is backlit). I've also started to play with RAW files for the first time. Here are a couple of photos - the subjects aren't brilliant, but I'd welcome any suggestions on how to improve them.

Blackberry leaf
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2

Elusive neighbor, a camera shy California Grey Squirrel
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:02 PM   #3

Pinon Pine Cone
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:03 PM   #4

Ducks at the local park
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5

Christmas Lights
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:34 AM   #6

I like the #3 the best. Looks like you'r doing just fine for just getting your camera. The best way to learn is to keep up with this forum, don't be afraid to ask questionsand take a lot of shots. That's the great thing about FZ series, you can set it on "P" all day long and get good shots, then experiment with different settings when you are comfortable. Welcome to the forum.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:01 AM   #7

Yes, indeedeee...that's the ticket to Panasonic FZ 30 happiness. You can set yourself simple tasks to get familiar with the results in switching f stops, and then aperture...one thing at a time, then ISO and shutter speeds. But to avoid confusion start with the manipulation of a single variable at a time so as to be certain which setting changed what. When you are confident with the parameters of each setting, then combine the changes. For comparison then set the selector back to P and see how the camera would have handled the shot on auto. Try shooting with the stabilizer on and then off to get a feel for how it helps. Bottom line...go play with it! You've already shots some good keepers. This is such a fun tech toy! Congrats on your choice. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:58 AM   #8

I'm most familiar withphotos like the pine cone - I love macros. The night shot and the ducks (cropped from a larger photo)were experiments (I thought they were reasonably successful). The squirrel was terribly backlit and dark, but I had taken it in RAW so I played with it quite a bit. I was surprised I could get as much of an image as I did - I haven't quite figured out how to over-ride the exposure without changing it to manual and setting the aperture and shutter speed myself (not convenient for a camera-shy squirrel who I've been trying to take a photo of for several years).

The first one I was very disappointed in, and I can't quite figure out if there is any way to improve it. I seem to get less contrast or something when using this new camera (could be the time of the year - this early winter time has nothing to recommend it).
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:06 AM   #9

A question on the image stabilization - I had it on and had used the zoom to photograph clouds and a mountain ridge quite far away. I took the same scene with both my Sony F717 and the new FZ30 and when I looked at them the Sony had more detail on the ridge than the Panasonic did. This was not a true scientific comparison becauseI used different zoom factors so they weren't truely identical. Would the difference in detail be because of the image stabilization or because of the lens or the zoom factor? Or could it be a bit of all and could itbe improved by not using IS? It wasn't a huge amount, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't put the photos side-by-side.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:19 PM   #10

i'm not familiar with the Sony F717, but i have noticed that the FZ cameras tend to soften distant horizons a bit. i have an FZ20 that does the same thing sometimes. i think part of it is the magnification factor, part may have to do with where and how the camera focused for the shot, and part may simply be things like haze in the atmosphere. in any case, i haven't found it to be a problem.. heck, even with binoculars the horizon looks fuzzy. oh wait... that's just my aging eyes! :?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote