Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1

Not even 9 months old, and already a not so good situation...

I went to fire up my FZ20 today and attempted to turn it on in "P" mode.

It turns on, displays thescreen (unfocused lens)then when the lens usually extends... nothing happens... just sort of a really quick 1/2 second light clicking noise.

After that, an error message comes on and says "PLEASE TURN CAMERA OFF AND THEN ON AGAIN"

And that's where I'm at.

I was supposed to take photos this evening... but it's not looking good! Is there a factory reset button or something?

Other info that might help: I have a Sunpak 383, always use Duracell batteries in it, um... use it 3-4 times a month... etc.

HELP!! THANKS SO MUCh!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:56 PM   #2

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Not even 9 months old, and already a not so good situation...

I went to fire up my FZ20 today and attempted to turn it on in "P" mode.

It turns on, displays thescreen (unfocused lens)then when the lens usually extends... nothing happens... just sort of a really quick 1/2 second light clicking noise.

After that, an error message comes on and says "PLEASE TURN CAMERA OFF AND THEN ON AGAIN"

And that's where I'm at.

I was supposed to take photos this evening... but it's not looking good! Is there a factory reset button or something?

Other info that might help: I have a Sunpak 383, always use Duracell batteries in it, um... use it 3-4 times a month... etc.

HELP!! THANKS SO MUCh!

Same thing happened to mine after about 9 mos.I had to send it in for repair. Only parts werecovered and they charged a flat $102.50 for labor (or maybe only labor was covered and they charged a flat $102.50 for parts, I forgot).
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #3

Wow. Just wow.

Only 9 months! And mine has been babied... in its own case, always kept clean, never dropped, mishandled, or exposed to harsh elements... I don't get it.

If this situation is the same as the one above, my plans to upgrade to the FZ30 are definitely going to be reconsidered.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

Only 9 months! And mine has been babied... in its own case, always kept clean, never dropped, mishandled, or exposed to harsh elements... I don't get it.

If this situation is the same as the one above, my plans to upgrade to the FZ30 are definitely going to be reconsidered.

Thanks for sharing your story.
i wouldn't worry too much about it, Smilez... i've had my FZ20 for over a year, and never had a single problem with it. i suspect this is an isolated case of bad luck... though i gotta say, if my '20 craps out, i'd have to look at the upgrade myself!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:38 PM   #5

Smilez03, Have you tried another freshly charged battery? Also have you tried taking the Sunpak off the camera before turning it on? When I had my FZ20 I had one time when something similar happened. I removed the battery and let the camera sit overnight, put a freshly charged battery and a different memory card and it fired right up and I never had the problem again! Worth a try! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:19 PM   #6

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i wouldn't worry too much about it, Smilez... i've had my FZ20 for over a year, and never had a single problem with it. i suspect this is an isolated case of bad luck... though i gotta say, if my '20 craps out, i'd have to look at the upgrade myself!

I guess, it was just pure coincidence that i had the exact same malfunction after 9 mos.....?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:17 PM   #7

OK, you guys are making me really happy that I bought the Staples
extended warranty. Hope I never need to use it. What brought me to
a FZ and here is the loss of a perfectly good Sony that somehow bit the
dust out of the blue as so many things do with children about. Not having
any warranty then, I didn't make the same mistake twice. If this one makes it
three years I'll be happy. Surely the 20 is worth more than $100. You might have
an estimate and go from there. good luck
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:15 AM   #8

I had the same problem about 10 months ago(only had it 2 months and dropped it)

When the lens doesn't drive out you get the message up "PLEASE TURN CAMERA OFF AND THEN ON AGAIN"

What has happened is the lens is stuck in its home position and the clicking you can hear is the lens trying to drive out.

You can try pulling on the lens as you turn it on. This may release it.

I had to take mine apart to release it. (I don't recommend it unless you have some sort of experience it mechanical equipment as it can be quite fiddly.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Steve
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:15 AM   #9

stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:17 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help. Heres the update.

I tried changing the battery... nothing.
I triedputting the Sunpak on... nothing.
I tried taking the Sunpak off... nothing.
I tried removing the card and battery completely... nothing.
I finally took a closer look at the lens itself... I gave it a slight tap and a little wiggle and the next time I turned it on... it worked perfectly.

Yeah. I can't believe it either. I'll admit, I may have overreacteda littlebit... but God definitely answered my prayers and I was able to take photos last night.

Has anyone else had this same problem.. it was almost as if the lens "assembly" got caught behind the "mount" of the camera (that's the best I can describe it! lol)

THANKS EVERYONE!