Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:00 AM   #1

Greetings All. Just received my FZ5 on Friday and have taken the oft offered advice to fire away in various modes to learn what's what.

The following are two of myrecent attempts at photos of the moon that I would ask for some critiquefrom the esteemedPany forum members on ways to improve quality etc.

First photo (Cropped); Handheld against column; moon in lower SW horizon ~30-degrees from setting

EXIF:

Field Name: Field Value
Maker: Panasonic
Model: DMC-FZ5
Exif Version: 0220
Shot Time: 2005:12:06 08:44:10
Digitize Time: 2005:12:06 08:44:10
Compress Rate: 4.0 bits/pixel
Exposure Time: 1/40 Second
F Number: 6.3
Minimum F Number:
Focal Length: 72.00 mm
X Resolution:
Y Resolution:
ISO Speed Rate: ISO100
Flash: No Flash
Light Source: Auto
Exposure Program: Manual
Subject Area:
Custom Rendered: Custom
Exposure Mode: Manual Exposure
White Balance: Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio:
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: None
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Device Setting Description:
Subject Distance Range: Far, Far Away...
Attached Images

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:12 AM   #2

Second Photo; same as first but different settings (No Digital Zoom) and changed to B/W

I noticed the sharpness is indicated as Hard - Is this a user setting or is it internal processing...?

Oops - The above EXIF settings arefrom the wrongphotos; disregard and see below-

EXIF: For above (1rst) photo-

Shot Time: 2005:12:06 08:25:45
Digitize Time: 2005:12:06 08:25:45
Minimum F Number:
X Resolution:
Y Resolution:
Subject Area:
Custom Rendered: Normal
Digital Zoom Ratio: 2
Sharpness: Hard
Subject Distance Range:
Image Unique ID:

For below photo:

Shot Time: 2005:12:06 08:44:10
Digitize Time: 2005:12:06 08:44:10
Minimum F Number:
X Resolution:
Y Resolution:
Subject Area:
Custom Rendered: Custom
Digital Zoom Ratio:
Sharpness: Normal
Subject Distance Range: Far, Far Away...
Image Unique ID:

Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:13 PM   #3

I would recommend using a tripod and tho you don't mention using stabilization, Id turn it off, (with tripod) even tho it's been argued it makes no diff if you leave it on (I used to think that, now I'm saying just turn it off) And try again. Really nice shots for handheld, and the results indicate the settings are working for you. Best regards,

Kennethd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:26 PM   #4

Both shots look pretty good for handheld ! I see Kenneth recommends turning off IS, I've tried both on and off and now favor on in the #2 mode. Seems to be just a matter of personal choice as I have a hard time telling the difference between the two, (using tripod). Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:10 AM   #5

Kennethd/Jim--

Many thanks for taking the time and offering the valued critique and comments. Some of us newbies are somewhat gun-shy about posting our initial efforts after looking at others' unbelievablephotos posted on this forum. But it is something to aspire to...

As to IS modes-having read the differing opinions on IS settings, I used the single spot-HAF point w/the AF trigger settingto locked focus and then used the 2-second timer to set myself and concentrate on not shaking from the 20F chill (High Desert of 'the'Mojave Desert - 3,200').I'm leaning toMode 2 on AF is probably the better way to go unless stationary/tripod - then AF locked. But then, I suppose, I have many snaps to go before my opinion has any validity...

I did go out this afternoon and bought a nifty $15 Centrios 9" - 40" tripod this afternoon (Centrios Ultra-Compact Tripod (40TRIPOD) ). It's more for use as a table top but figured it will also act as a lightweight/portable tripod/monopod until I get further along and get a better idea of my true needs. As it is, the wife is seeing UPS dropping off since last Friday -- the FZ5, then comes a 1GB SD card, then a TCON-17, then a set of Hoya Diopters and set of Hoya SMC filters - all in less than a week...:P
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:14 AM   #6

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Both shots look pretty good for handheld ! I see Kenneth recommends turning off IS, I've tried both on and off and now favor on in the #2 mode. Seems to be just a matter of personal choice as I have a hard time telling the difference between the two, (using tripod). Jim
Ya know, Jim....I was convinced there was absolutely NO discernable difference between having it off, and in the 2 position, myself! ViZonquest (probably misspelled it) was so insistant that off was the only way to go, I tried the comparison again, and maybe it was voodoo or something, but darn it...this time my results looked better with the tripod and the thing turned right off. ???? So, if anyone asks now, I lean toward what happened with my latest experiment, altho maybe the thing to do is leave it on, ( 2 position) and if you think it could be better, turn it off, and use the timer to trip the shutter (which I did) to be 100% sure nothing and nobody moves that camera while she clicks. Moon shots can be tricky anyway. What with atmosphere, city lights, invisible type haze at night....anything can blur those shots! It's absolutely the wrong subject to get hard and fast results on. You just can't point at any one thing sometimes and be 100% sure what the culprit is with a blurry moon shot. (buns are different...see my other recent post) Anyhoo, in any event a tripod is my main recomendation...and then go for clear sky, and something less than a full moon for best crater detail. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote