Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:27 PM   #1

A new member posted a picture of his FZ30 showing a LOT of dust and debris inside his lens and was saying Panasonic wouldn't respond to his problem. He also stated that it took over 3 months for this lens to get this bad. After looking at the picture it was apparent that perhaps the member was responsible for this accumulation of dust inside the lens! Look carefully at the picture and you will see probably one of the worst cared for lens I have seen ! I circled the worst visible areas showing dirt, debris and dust OUTSIDE the lens. As I indicated in my post to the member, if I allowed my camera and lens to get that dirty on the outside I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find that some of it worked it's way inside sooner or later ! It just bothered me that someone is trying to get Panasonic to replace or repair something that is due to the misuse of the operator or owner! Again this is just my opinion based on my observations. Jim
Original post: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:35 PM   #2

i'm certainly in no position to pass judgement on someone's maintenance or cleaning skills (or lack thereof), all i can say is after over a full YEAR, my FZ20lens looksnothing like that! i've had a filter on the lens for all but the first month or so, for just that reason. personally, i would have thought that the dust problem would've been noticed, and some sort of corrective action taken, long before it got that bad, but hey, what do i know? some folks never change the oil in their cars, either! :?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:40 PM   #3

Squirl, I wasn't passing judgement only posting my observations. I guess I just get upset when something just doesn't add up and also when someone doesn't take care of a fine piece of equipment. It almost looked the camera was being used to plow a driveway! Just kidding, but it did look bad! Jim
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:41 PM   #4

I agree its pretty minging, and I have a UV on mine all the time, but it still should not work its way inside the lense? Surely it is a sealed unit?
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:42 PM   #5

oh tiger, get a life............
I said that panny had not responded to my support requests. Now then, no response, not any, this is without ever discussing the exact problem. If you would like to come to texas I'll show you this camera and my finger nails, we'll compare our different opinions of care and cleanlieness.
whether you think it was stored in a refuse heap or not...let me just ask, why does this lens (that I cannot take apart and clean) have more dusk, dirt or what ever in it than any of my other cameras that I have used in exactly the same invironment? some for years some for months.
so, you aren't being conned by me....but it sure makes a great read.
and if you care to.....over in dp review, do a search on threads with my name....you'll find that when I first received the camera I questioned folks about a dust spec or two that were on the lens, brand new. They advised not to worry about it and I didn't, now I do and you feal that you are being conned?
wj

wymjym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:57 PM   #6

Wymjym, As I stated to Squirl I wasn't passing jugement only noting my observations. If you look at the picture carefully you will see the debris in the cracks around the lens. I inspected my own lens before I posted and was unable to find any such debris. This would indicate to me that the conditions were right for getting dust inside the camera because it was on the camera. This in no way has anything to do with your personal hygiene! You could be the cleanest person in the world and dirt, dust and debris could still find it's way to your camera and if it isn't checked and cleaned after use you take a chance of it getting inside the camera and possibly inside the lens. I have found my camera gets dusty if I've used it while hiking or in a wind which has blown dust on it. But I've never let that dust remain on it while putting it back in the case. If you hadn't stated that it took 3 months to get that way I probably wouldn't have thought much about it, but that says the camera and lens wasn't that way when you got it! Anyway as I stated I'm not attacking you only the possible way that the dust got into your lens. Respectfully, Jim
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:18 PM   #7

Truthfully, I can see why Jim (tiger) was suspicious since that lens looks like it has been at the bottom of a sandbag, stepped on, and really not cared for. On the other hand, I think I remember seeing some postings either here or on dpreview a couple of months back where somebody was concerned about a speck of dust inside the lens. If that was the same lens and the dust has accumulated since then to this point, there must truly be something wrong with the sealing.

ButI can alos see wymjym's point about not getting a response from Customer Service as a separate issue. One would hope that they reply to emails, regardless of what one's question is.

In any case, conning might be too harsh of an assumption, but how anybody could not have attached a protective filter months ago on top of such a valuable lens, when there is obviously a high exposure to dust (regardless if it gets inside or just onto the surface) is incomprehensible to me as well.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8
spy

Hey! Wymjym, is this you??!

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:06 PM   #9
RDV

I magnified the shot of the lens and the particles inside look like some sort of shavings, chippings, or flaking. They don't appear to be the size, shape, or anything like the dust on the outside of the lens. I have a friend that carries his DSLR around in his truck seat to construction sites and is covered with dust on the outside but the inside of the lens is clear. I've had more dust than that on my camera in one day at a work site. This looks more like some sort of flaking caused by the lens barrel movement. I think I would be upset as well if I found this in my camera. I have a FZ20 over a year old that has been dusty on the outside but the lens is still free from particles inside.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:10 AM   #10

spy wrote:
Quote:
Hey! Wymjym, is this you??!

Funny, I recalled the same shot of this idiot....lol
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote