Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:52 PM   #1

Any ideas or suggestions will be appriciated.

I want to use my FZ30 and a Spotting scope with a zoom up to 60 to get photos of elk. Most of these photos will be from around 1 mile away. Since the weather conditions here in the mountains is so crazy I will need a spotting scope that is fog proof and want one with at least a 80mm lense.
Thanks in advance.

roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:40 PM   #2

Well in a way your lucky it can be done with a FZ30, unlike the FZ20, but it is not cheap.

It pretty much breaks down to you need a scope with a 2 inch focuser and eyepiece.

Here is a link to show it can be done and the equiptment this fellow used to accomplish it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15542061

and more examples

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15876424
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3

Hi Genee

I read both of those and still am confused.

I am the old newbie you helped with accessories for my FZ30. ( I bought everything you suggested and I am very happy with my set up). In the summer I take pictures of our old steam train then comes fall and winter. I want to hunt elk with my FZ30 and a good spotting scope. Instead of firing a gun I want to press the button on my FZ30 and have the pictures for my trophy. As you know because of the weather in the mountains I will need a scope that won't fog up.

I read where you want to do animals as well. What is the system you think is the best so far. I am probably going to be at least 1 mile away and would like to see photos that show the antlers well. I will end up using a window mount to hold the system steady.

thanks

Old Newbie named roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:35 AM   #4

Too bad you cannot get closer. I have the FZ 30 and the LZ-55 1.7X tele addon. This is the kind of shot I know I am going to post of an elk...a BULL elk no less, one day. For all who have seen this one please excuse the repetition, but it is a fitting example) And hopefully in the next few weeks. I live so close to Banff national park, that in less than 3 hours I can be I the middle of a herd IF I get lucky,and when that happens this is the shot I want to post, but only imagine a bull elk with a full, huge rack. I shot this ram at about 100 feet. And without much cropping here's what I got. Even with 60X plus the 12X Panny, I think you will be gasping for pixels at therange of a mile.ANY hint of motion and you'll get blur too at that magnification. Are you any where near a park where you could possibly shorten the range? Or are you intent on doing the "hunting" experience only with a camera? Even as a youngster, hunting in these parts, outside of the park, I've gotten within a couple hundered yards. If you spot elk a mile away, and they aren't spooked, with a little practice you should be able to sneak in a bit closer. Let us know how you make out...best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:37 AM   #5

Now keep in mind that i have not done this but trying to get all the info off of authur, the guy with that post .I came up with you need quality equiptment and he said I would get good results with a Celestron scope which was $1000.00 less than the scope he uses, things still get expensive.

Scope

thehotel wrote: [/b]
Quote:
Hi Genee

I read both of those and still am confused.

I am the old newbie you helped with accessories for my FZ30. ( I bought everything you suggested and I am very happy with my set up). In the summer I take pictures of our old steam train then comes fall and winter. I want to hunt elk with my FZ30 and a good spotting scope. Instead of firing a gun I want to press the button on my FZ30 and have the pictures for my trophy. As you know because of the weather in the mountains I will need a scope that won't fog up.

I read where you want to do animals as well. What is the system you think is the best so far. I am probably going to be at least 1 mile away and would like to see photos that show the antlers well. I will end up using a window mount to hold the system steady.

thanks

Old Newbie named roger
EYEPiece

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=5169&m=49

scope

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

Diagonal

http://william-optics.telescopes.com...ism_35332.html

extension tube

http://www.astronomics.com/main/Tele...oduct_id/1343C

that all comes to about $1000.00 and you still need a good tripod.

Keep in mind I have not tried this yet but I have been assured by Arthur that it will give great results.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:51 PM   #6

Excellent...I believe Genece has you headed in the right direction. If I were you I would buy a copy of Sky and Telescope magazine, and check out all the ads in it. You M I G H T be able to buy a reflector telescope ie from celestron...which can be used to mount a camera. Keep in mind these use mirrors, and are primarily astonomy telescopes, but they can be used. It seems you will be clicking away soon, from all I can see here pointing you where you need to go, keep the ball rolling and keep us updated.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote