Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:10 AM   #11

John

Please, forgive me forwanting to focus on a different point.

At 35mm dynamic range is certainly not satisfactory and I am sure a bigger CCD (dSLR) would do much better, but I am pleased to see thet the camera has neither completely darkened the nearly half lower part (some data could be recovered even from the gif) nor completely blown the sky.
I think FZ20 wouldn't have done better, probably worse.
Which metering did you use?
Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:16 PM   #12

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
John

Please, forgive me forwanting to focus on a different point.

At 35mm dynamic range is certainly not satisfactory and I am sure a bigger CCD (dSLR) would do much better, but I am pleased to see thet the camera has neither completely darkened the nearly half lower part (some data could be recovered even from the gif) nor completely blown the sky.
I think FZ20 wouldn't have done better, probably worse.
Which metering did you use?
NP NArmer I did not do any PP and open the shadows I could have, I guess I was lazy. :roll:

I used spot metering.

It was the image of the man that was important not the foreground in this case for the comparison.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:27 PM   #13

The full sized cropis really interesting. The power wires show no sign of CA, while the tree appears to have some - does the tree bark have a tint to it also?

Is the 3MP 19.1 zoom the same as if you shoot at max zoom at 8 MP and then crop? Or is there a quality gain somehow? This photo is impressive!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:13 PM   #14

John

The 3MP 19.1 shot is pretty impressive esp as its hand held too. I can see it being a pretty useful feature, esp. if your using a tripod.

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:37 PM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The full sized cropis really interesting. The power wires show no sign of CA, while the tree appears to have some - does the tree bark have a tint to it also?

Is the 3MP 19.1 zoom the same as if you shoot at max zoom at 8 MP and then crop? Or is there a quality gain somehow? This photo is impressive!
No no CA on the power lines the leaves Prunus are out of focus and they are a zery deep red so we are seeing some other effect.
Rest assured the FZ30 lens is pretty good by the highest standards
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:47 PM   #16

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
John

The 3MP 19.1 shot is pretty impressive esp as its hand held too. I can see it being a pretty useful feature, esp. if your using a tripod.

Cheers

HarjTT
Yes 3MP EZ is pretty impressive but @ 19.1 X hand held needs Sun you need to open aperture up too to get High shutter speeds .... in low light well tripod yes....

Thing is the Pana lens (Leica tint) is pretty good wide open so tend to go that way I don't tend to stop down alot with max zoom to maximise shutter speeds DOF is usually OK on long zooms.. BUT with closeups well more stopdown is needed for DOF.

Technicque

Impressive CAM the FZ30