Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:15 PM   #11

I think the flower pictures are excellent. I take a lot of flower pictures both wild and garden and would certainly be pleased to have taken your ones.

Sometimes even on this Forum, advice is confusing. I have noticed that there are two different recommendations for EV. Some contributors say keep EV on plus all the time and some say negative all the time.

If in doubt I put the auto bracket on and 80% of the time normal is the best
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:56 PM   #12

Bootneck2 wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes even on this Forum, advice is confusing. I have noticed that there are two different recommendations for EV. Some contributors say keep EV on plus all the time and some say negative all the time.

True, this is confusing. LoveLife, for example, has been recommending to set the exposure at +2/3 in sunlight. I will try for myself when I get my FZ30 this weekend.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:54 PM   #13

I was reading an article recently (don't ask me which one, I've been reading lots of photo stuff recently) that said the old advice of it being better to under-expose wasn't right, that you could recoup over exposed details, up to a point. Just my personal experience has been that Photoshop doesn't have much problem with bringing out details in shadows, while it can't bring out anything if you blow out the highlights.

I answered one of my own questions today, though I should have known the answer from reading an article about what raw is all about. If you use the black and white color mode and you are shooting raw, you actually get both versions - the jpg is b&w and the raw version is in color. I thought that was really coolthough now I'm having trouble deciding which version I like better.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:11 AM   #14

Nice Shots!

I've noticed when using the spot exposure mode and sampling a white shirt to set exposure, that most images are significantly under exposed. On the upside the shirt has no blown highlights. :G

So I've been thinking I should use a +2/3 when using that workflow for capturing images.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:17 AM   #15

please note that using a +2/3 EV with Matrix metering is different than doing that with spot metering, which is far more sensible to the light of thepoint in which you meter

PS
With the FZ20 and no flash, I often have great difficulties in reproducing accurate violet-purple (and even red) colors. They tend to a blue hue if not to a completely blue color, even with auto WB...
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:49 PM   #16

So the answer seems to be to try both, if you can - spot metering without adjusting EV and another photo using matrix metering and +2/3. Or else it depends on the particular situation you find yourself in. It seems like the spot metering is more sensitive than I'm used to and overall I was getting better results with the matrix mode.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:24 PM   #17

Nice shots - and shooting in RAW is something that I wish they had put in with the FZ1 onwards! The colours look very good and shooting in RAW means yu don't have to worry about the white balance which can be a real pain the FZ10.

Post some more !

HarjTT

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote