Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

A 49-52mm step up ring fits tightly into the front of the stock fz5 adapter. The fit is quite tight as is but a more secure permanent solution would be to apply some silicon glue. One proviso - the 49mm threaded portion of the step ring interfers with the gradual added extension of the fz5 lens housing as zoom is increased. The metal male step ring threads serve no purpose at all and should be removed- filed or grinded down or sawed off. If you're unable to do that, take it to a lock smith or hardware store and see if they can do it.

There is really no change in the stock adapter other than the plastic 55mm threads being replaced with 52mm metal threads.
Improvements over the now obsolete raynox rt5264p modification:
1) No extensive fz5 stock adapter plastic removal required.
2) The lens hood still connects.
3) Cheaper.
4) Less stressful.

Cons: None
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:52 PM   #2

Nice work Fred,

If I ever get the bug to upgrade to the 5 I'll know exactly what to do. I take it this modification passed the DCR-6600 test then?

Keep up the good work.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

Thanks, Fred! I suppose this would work as wellwith the FZ4 should I decide to upgrade?
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:21 PM   #4

Well, I may have jumped the gun a bit. I ran into problems trying to remove the male threaded portion of the49-52mm step up ring. Not nearly as easy as I thought it would be andin the process the ring bent slighly and is now out of round and essentially useless, accept for it's educational benefits. But the idea is still very much intact. It just needs a little more work. Yes, it passed the 6600 test and it will work with the fz4.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:29 PM   #5

Fred, if you could figure out a way to holdon to thestep ring you might be able to sand the male threads off with one of those round sanding pads that fit on an electric hand drill. Wonder if that would work? If you have a Yoshida adapter for the FZ1 you could put the step ring on it (55-52 step down ring would be required)and then theadapter will give you something to hold on to for the sanding job. Of course, this is just an:idea: that popped into my head :roll:.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:57 PM   #6

Betty - Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to put this on the back burner for awhile. Xmas is rapidly approaching.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:32 PM   #7

Any pictures of this mod? Where did you find your 49-52 step ring?

Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Any pictures of this mod? Where did you find your 49-52 step ring?
I decided that this modification wasn't nearly as friendly as I first thought. Removing the 49mm portion was just too much trouble. The 52mm filter casing modification gets the same results and is much easier. (See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23) The same amount of plastic has to be removed (~2mm) either way and the very little filing of the inside of the filter casing (if needed at all) is also quite simple. Wrapping the outside of the filter casing to increase the diameter so that it fits snuggly in the fz5 adapter is also easily done and no damage is done to the plastic 55mm threads should you decide that you'ld prefer not to have the 52mm metal threads.

I got a cheap 52mm uv filter on ebay for $5 and broke the glass out.