Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:44 AM   #1

I love the 20 but see the RAW format as a big step up - what have you been shooting in? And what converter are you using? Thanks - Bob
StarDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:29 PM   #2

I bought my FZ30 Friday, so I'm no expert with the camera. However, my initial impression is that the camera is much better shooting raw, colors better and more detail in the picture. I use Photoshop CS2 so I downloaded the Adobe raw plug-in that supports the FZ30 and love it. I haven't bothered to install the software that came with the camera since I find the Adobe product so comfortable to use, though I did print an article that talked about what the various adjustments do because at first I had no idea how to make the adjustments I wanted. I'm still playing with it because it can do more than just change white balance, contrast and saturation.

The FZ30's raw mode also gives you a jpg at the same time. When I've compared the 2 I've always gone with the raw version. So I'm planning on using raw most of the time, since I'm rarely concerned with capturing action (the raw files are huge compared to the jpg and it takes significantly more time to write it to the card).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

If you check the reviews for the FZ30 - using RAW produces a much better result than the incam jpeg's. If my FZ10 had RAW I'd be shooting RAW all the time - no need to worry about white balance or in cam settings. Also the FZ30 has a fast RAW write time - just 3 seconds between shots. The only thing you will need to do is get Adobe Acrobat RAW or another app - the RAW app with the FZ30 is said to be seriously useless.

Cheers

:?

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:55 AM   #4

I have an FZ30 & shoot in raw mode with every shot unless I need burst mode. I use rawshooter premium for post processing. You just have a get a big card. I have a 2gig & 1 gig card. I can store 150+ shots between the 2 cards. If you have raw mode I don't know why a person would shoot in jpg.
le_undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:57 AM   #5

Only another opinion

But I very seldom shoot in RAW, while There is an advantage to dealing with noise,I find very little problem with noise and also it seems a little easier to recover from a poorly exposed picture, but all in all there is not much than can not be done in PS with a JPEG.

I must say I wish the camera had an exterior button you could push to choose RAW for one or two shots, but as its buried in the menu ,it is too inconvenient to use.

And I find burst mode and EZ much more useful.

As I say its just my opinion.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:08 AM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
Genece,
Quote:
Since shooting in Raw is just as easy as shooting in Jpg.....why do you shoot jpg? just wondering? JuanJ
Quote:
Only another opinion

But I very seldom shoot in RAW, while There is an advantage to dealing with noise,I find very little problem with noise and also it seems a little easier to recover from a poorly exposed picture, but all in all there is not much than can not be done in PS with a JPEG.

I must say I wish the camera had an exterior button you could push to choose RAW for one or two shots, but as its buried in the menu ,it is too inconvenient to use.

And I find burst mode and EZ much more useful.

As I say its just my opinion.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:34 AM   #7

I do not think it is as easy ..you have the 2 or 3 second delay between shots and you can not use the Extended zoom feature which I use a lot.

I also use burst mode way too much but I have come to depend on it.

If there was an external button for Raw ,I would use it more, But I really see very few adjustments that I can not make in PS. I do understand thereis an advantage to RAWbut it does not seem worth it to me.

Now you may like RAW way more than me and thats fine, perhaps I may even change my mind.

Also I have taken a 1000 photos a day on many occasions ...can you imagine processing all of those.

I really never used TIFF on the FZ20 for much the same reasons.

Gene

[b]Genece, [/quote]
Quote:
Since shooting in Raw is just as easy as shooting in Jpg.....why do you shoot jpg? just wondering? JuanJ
Quote:
[/quote]
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:32 AM   #8

Software: Photoshop CS2
Download Camera raw file version 3.2 or 3.3 beta from Adobe website:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

1- Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.

2- Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

3- Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 1.

4- Launch Photoshop CS2

5- Open your Raw file and appear the pop-up window as below:
Attached Images

Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:01 AM   #9

I am going to start playing around with RAW to see if it makes a big difference in more important or artistic shots. for the most part I just shoot in jpeg, and honestly in the higher compression (standard) mode. It's supposedly lower quality, but I cannot see it at all, and it' s just over 1 MB in the 5 MP mode which I was using on my FZ20. Now that I got my FZ30 I think my standard mode is going to be 3:2 (7MP) at high compression jpeg. About 1.5 MP storage space per image. RAW I will use once in a while for very important occasions, just to make sure nothing gets lost and I can manipulate it later. But I am just now familiarizing with the possibilities.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:30 AM   #10

Genece,

Do you shoot a lot of sports or birds in flight? Is that why you use burst mode a lot? I hardly ever use burst mode.

With Rawshooter Premium you can process raw photos pretty fast. At least for me I don't see a lot of difference in the time it takes for processing a raw pix as a jpg in Photo Shop. I use Photo Shop Elements 2 sometimes.

I've never used the extended zoom yet. I have played it with to see how it works but never used it for a shot.

I guess the 2-3 sec delay on saving a raw file isn't a big deal to me since I'm not shooting that fast anyway lol It takes me longer than that to think about my next shot lol

I can see your point....you would need a lot of SD cards to store 1,000 raw shots lol For me, I usually only shoot less than 150 shots a day.

JuanJ
[b][/quote][/quote]