Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 81
Default

I have never own a diggy. I'm going to get a pany 5. It seems like it would work good for a p/s guy like me that wants a lot of zoom and takes pics of the kids.

I know the memo card that it will come with will not hold many pictures. What kind of card (size and brand)do you guys reccomend and where is a good place on line to buy one?

Thanks a bunch.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

i've had great luck with Kingmax cards from Newegg.com. for the FZ5, a 512MB card would be a good choice... should give you about 220-240 pics before it's full. last time i looked, you could get a "standard" card for about $25, or a high-speed 60x (which is what i use) for about $33.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 81
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i've had great luck with Kingmax cards from Newegg.com. for the FZ5, a 512MB card would be a good choice... should give you about 220-240 pics before it's full. last time i looked, you could get a "standard" card for about $25, or a high-speed 60x (which is what i use) for about $33.

Do you like your z5?

What is the difference between a standard cardand a high speed 60x card? Is the high speed with the eight bucks more money? I'm a real rookie with diggies.

Thanks a bunch Sqirl!
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 81
Default

What does this mean?

"Camera performance is excellent, and the new high speed focus modes scream. The burst modes are impressive as well, especially with a high speed SD card. "

I am interested in using the burst mode. Therefore, is a high speed SD card something i should get for my pany z5?


dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

as its name implies, the high speed card is faster. depending on its rating, it may be anywhere from 2 to 20 times faster than a standard SD card. when you see "X" in the speed rating of a card, that stands for 150Kbps. so a60x card transfers data about 60 times faster than that, or about 9MB/sec. a "standard" SD card only runs about 2-3MB/sec. the FZ cameras write data at something between4 and 7MB/sec, so with the standard speed card, the camera will stop for several seconds every 4-6 shots while the buffer clears. the 60x card can accept data at 9-10MB/sec, which is faster than the camera can write, so there's no stopping to wait for the card. with my FZ20, ican shoot continuously till the card is full without interruption.

a high-speed card will be a real plus if you plan to use burst mode a lot. $8 is nothing compared to the aggravation of having your camera stop in the middle of an action sequence while it writes image data toaslow card.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

a high-speed card will be a real plus if you plan to use burst mode a lot. $8 is nothing compared to the aggravation of having your camera stop in the middle of an action sequence while it writes image data toaslow card.

I could not agree more!!!!!
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Telecorder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 490
Default

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
I have never own a diggy. I'm going to get a pany 5. It seems like it would work good for a p/s guy like me that wants a lot of zoom and takes pics of the kids.

I know the memo card that it will come with will not hold many pictures. What kind of card (size and brand)do you guys reccomend and where is a good place on line to buy one?

Thanks a bunch.
Dwelsh7:

Like you, I'm a newby - just received my FZ5 one week ago today. The 16MB SD card that comes with the unit only holds ~5-7 high quality photos (no TIFF) and is sometimes slow to write; especially in burst mode as detailed by Squirl033. I just, 5-minutes ago literally, received a Transcend 80X 1GB card and tried it out. It indicates it will hold ~ 62 TIFF; 402 High Quality; 790 Low Quality photos at 2560 photo size.

There is a very noticeable increase in the speed to access and display a photo just taken than with the supplied 16MB SD card.

On another thread a forum member pointed out that the Pany can use a 2GB SD card even though the manual and the Pany web site indicates otherwise.

FYI, the 1GB card I just received was ~$70 w/7.75% tax and 3-Day shipping from New Egg:Customer Reviews Of RiDATA 1GB Secure Digital (SD) Card - Retail

So far, after ~150 photos playing/learning the different settings etc, the FZ5 is a powerful camera and well worth the $. I'm quite satisfied with the system and its capabilities...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Telecorder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 490
Default

Ooops; Sorry about the wrong URL link for the Transcend 1GB card - it should have been the following:

Transcend 1GB Secure Digital (SD) Card - Retail at Newegg.com
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:24 PM.