Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:14 PM   #1

I'm 25 minutes away from getting to go home to my new FZ30!! I know it arrived today because my husband signed for it before he left for work. I've waited for this since it was first announced. I downloaded and printed the manual in Agust. I've just held myself in check for the Christmas falling prices. It will join my littlePanasonic family - FZ10 & FX8.

I've been reading the forum for awhile, but just officially joinedyesterday. Love seeing your shots and reading the discussions. I know this was a thread and I actually read it, but if you wouldn't mind telling me again - will my 52mm filters fit on this 55mm lens without a lot of hoopla. Is there a step ring that will make it fly??

OK, 20 minutes to go!

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:21 PM   #2

Hi Debbie!

Welcome and glad to have you on board! I think your 52mm filetrs should be just fine with a 55mm to 52mm step up ring. John aka Boyzo, Gene, lovelife, KennetHD and a few others should be able to tell you exactly.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum, Debbie. You already have the fz10 so you should be ready to fly high with the fz30. If your 52mmadd-ons worked with the fz10 they will do as well with the fz30. All you'll need is a 55-52mm step down ring. Looking forward to seeing some shots.I upgraded from the fz1 to the fz5 and the good times just keep happening! Have fun!:|
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:54 PM   #4

Oh thanks everyone! Waiting for the battery to charge...sigh. The FZ10 sold me on the Panasonic line. I was *finally* able to get shots that were satisfying to me and I was always awed and amazed when the camera could get shots I couldn't even see - as in my sons high school graduation. Huge auditorium. I couldn't see the folks on the stage. However that Leica lens jumped out there a grabbed it. Image stabilation and knee for a tripod and the shots were more than acceptable.

Must confess, however to using the 10 pretty much like a point and shoot. It's the control wheels on the 30 that sold me immediately. I like AP. I debated for almost six months as to if I should go with a DSLR or the FZ30. (Was also waiting for falling prices) I finally looked at myself realistically and knew I had gone digital forever. My film gear ends tonight on Ebay. I like just packing one camera.

So far all I know about it is that is smells real good & the texture is nice Maybe before the night is over I can get a shot of my birdie, Capella. (Umbrella Cockatoo)
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:03 PM   #5

Ah, that waiting for the battery to charge syndrome. I went through that, too. Isn't it neat that the recharger is small enough to slip in acamera bag? The charger for my old camera was bigger and had a cord, so it was more awkward to deal with - this one is so nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:14 PM   #6

Fred

Thanks for clearing that up .. was just getting confused :? over the step up or step down.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:00 PM   #7

I just got my FZ30.
The manual you downloaded, was it the same as the one with the camera?
What site?
Thanks for the help.
Happy Holidays.
Jim Grossman
skylane711
skylane711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:17 PM   #8

skylane711 wrote:
Quote:
I just got my FZ30.
The manual you downloaded, was it the same as the one with the camera?
What site?
Thanks for the help.
Happy Holidays.
Jim Grossman
skylane711
Jim,

Yes, it seems to be exactly the same. The customer service rep at www.panasonic.com emailed it to me. Be dipped if I can find it, but I'll keep looking. I had it printed on 8 1/2 X 11 paper and spiral bound. I can read it easier and make notes for myself.

Debbie
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:43 PM   #9

Welcome Debbie, you will love the the FZ30 its a little large but handles beautifully.

The front thread of the FZ30 is 55mm so if buying online get the correct one choose carefully as fred said "Step down 55mm to 52mm"

(What you need is a ring with 55mm Male thread and 52mm Female thread)

Else go to a local camera shop.

Any 52mm filters should be fine my 52mm 4T closeup lens works fine with no Vignetting so UV or other 52mm filters if you have them should be ok too.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:19 PM   #10

Thanks so much! I went ahead and order a step ring from an Ebay vendor. I like my little collection of filters. I ordered a 55-52mm (hoping I'm going the right direction

I see you are from Australia. Being a huge parrot fan & advocate,I would never get tired of seeing shots of your Rosie and Lories ect. Just mentioning it....

Debbie