Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:29 PM   #1

I have largely been shooting in the "Standard", high compression JPEG mode with my FZ20 and I am intending to do the same with my new FZ30, at 3:2 ratio (7 MP). From my experience, I can just not see any difference between the two JPEG modes. Are there any comparison tests anywhere on this subject?

Here are two crops, one is from Fine, one from Standard mode. Can you tell which is which (without looking at the EXIF data)?

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:56 PM   #2

and the other one....
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:42 PM   #3

rduve wrote:
Quote:
and the other one....
Is in my opinion the better one. I decided BEFORE looking at the EXIF. The EXIF data in the posted shots does not give the original mode info (well I could not see it). The two were taken under slightly different conditions but ... still the second is "better".

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4

I subjected them to defogging, medium sharpening and a JPG cycle. I didn't use excessive sharpening. Artifacts that aren't visible start showing up with processing. If you don't intend any processing you can't really tell the difference.

Edit: I merged them into theone image before processing, so they both got exactly the same.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:56 PM   #5

Guess what? The second (bottom one) is the one in Standard (high compression) mode. You can tell that when you right click and look up the image properties that it is only half the size of the first. Are you sure you didn't get them reversed, Slipe?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 5:02 PM   #6

Ian48Harry wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
and the other one....
Is in my opinion the better one. I decided BEFORE looking at the EXIF. The EXIF data in the posted shots does not give the original mode info (well I could not see it). The two were taken under slightly different conditions but ... still the second is "better".

Ian

They were actually taken under the exact same conditions, seconds apart. Interesting that you find the more compressed one as being better. I guess if they are that hard to tell apart, I might as well stick with the "standard" mode.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:25 PM   #7

Rduve I'd have to say the second picture was taken in the "fine" setting. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:14 PM   #8

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Rduve I'd have to say the second picture was taken in the "fine" setting. Jim
No, actually it's the other way round. The first is "fine", the second "standard."

Rainer
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:24 PM   #9

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Guess what? The second (bottom one) is the one in Standard (high compression) mode. You can tell that when you right click and look up the image properties that it is only half the size of the first. Are you sure you didn't get them reversed, Slipe?
I did it again and labeled the images while I could still see the leaf that reached the edge on the top and the one that didn't on the bottom. Then pulled the crops into a file and processed them. The results were about the same.

I tried the same thing with a fine and normal shot from my FZ10 and the results were the opposite, with the lower quality image picking up more artifacts with processing and a cycle of quality 4 JPG saves.

I have no idea why your better quality image picked up more artifacts.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:48 PM   #10

Very very strange. Somewhere they must have been mixed up. I triple checked to make sure I don't have it backward and I don't. And again, proof is that the second image is only half the sizeof the first....strange.

But regardless, of course further processing and repeated saving (compression) will result in visible quality loss. It's just that at the level at which the camera compresses, there is no visible loss. And I figure if I do my processing in PS as new layers and save the finalimage as a new file while saving the original, it should not lead to any visible deterioration.

But for most pictures, which do not need PP, 1.5 MB per pic is a much more comfortable storage size than 3 MP I find.