Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2005, 5:58 PM   #11

Just wanted to add a little to this topic. ALL digital cameras have noise. Even DSLR's! Although, dslr's have a lot less noise than this camera and many others. The canon rebel 300d has to have visible noise at 400ISO. I've been wrong before but it would suprise me if it didnt.
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:21 PM   #12

Stump1000 wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to add a little to this topic. ALL digital cameras have noise. Even DSLR's! Although, dslr's have a lot less noise than this camera and many others. The canon rebel 300d has to have visible noise at 400ISO. I've been wrong before but it would suprise me if it didnt.

very little and hardly noticable at 400 ISO, at 800 ISO very slight noise with the rebel

heres a shot straight from the camera at ISO 400 only been cropped. Even better when you shoot in better light. This was dull and overcast and these are the conditions I find noise in the rebel is detectable. However I routinely only use ISO 400 or higher

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:35 PM   #13

My friend would not worry about ISO as much as me though. I like the ability to shoot in bad light conditions such as in this shot ISO 1600 in an unlit room, no flash and run through neat image lightly. My friend takes many more outside images in better light than I so I think she will be happy with the camera

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:53 AM   #14

I believe that it says in Steve Digicam's FZ30 review that the noise issue is by far too much exaggerated.
lukkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:53 AM   #15

I believe that it says in Steve Digicam's FZ30 review that the noise issue is by far too much exaggerated.
lukkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:59 AM   #16

aladyforty escribió:
Quote:
I like the ability to shoot in bad light conditions such as in this shot ISO 1600 in an unlit room, no flash and run through neat image lightly.

One important issue to consider is the f2.8-3.7 lens and the OIS (Image Stabilizer) You can take pictures, handheld at 1/10 with no problem. I have done that a lot of times.

I understand f2.8 @ 1/10 and ISO 100 compares with [email protected] 1/60 and ISO800

Noise is not really an issue for me.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:38 PM   #17

Just joined. If it is not too late, a great price for the fz30 can be found through circuit city. The web site has $150.00 off and when orderedvia the phone for placing orders, ask for the additional 10% off. I just ordered one and total cost after savings was $494.99. If I remember correctly, I paid $900.00 for my Canon G5 some years ago. The G5 is great but the zoom lens will be great for wildlife viewing at nearby Rocky Mountain National Park
rouseyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:05 AM   #18

rouseyfire wrote:
Quote:
Just joined. If it is not too late, a great price for the fz30 can be found through circuit city. The web site has $150.00 off and when orderedvia the phone for placing orders, ask for the additional 10% off. I just ordered one and total cost after savings was $494.99. If I remember correctly, I paid $900.00 for my Canon G5 some years ago. The G5 is great but the zoom lens will be great for wildlife viewing at nearby Rocky Mountain National Park

That is indeed a great price. However, I don't think you remember correctly what you paid for your Canon G5. It never cost $900. The list price was $699, and I paid just over $500 when it first came out. That's how I have been buying my cameras over the last few years: Buy the best $500+ can afford me and upgrade when there is a significant step forward. Not ready to spend thousands while technology gets cheaper and cheaper. I think in less than two years we'll be able to get a DSLR with 10+ MP on a large sensor for about $500 including basic lenses.

If you did pay $900 for your Canon G5 you were ripped off.

Last not least: Welcome to the Forum. You got a great new camera! Enjoy it and share your pics.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:43 AM   #19

You are correct. I just checked my old sales receipt and the camera (g5) was $549.00. The total included a new case, extra battery, 512mb compact flash, 2 year extended warrranty and tax. I stand corrected.

I like your thinking---$500.00 and wait until new innovations and improvements are made by the camera makers--great idea!

While I'm here, how does the noise level compare between the g5 and fz30? I'm happy with the g5 and will pleased if the noise levels are similar. All the comparisons are between similar model cameras on todays' market. It would be nice and helpful to see reviews showing the difference between the new cameras and the older models that people are still using. It would sure make the decision to upgrade a lot easier. The new fz30 should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks.
rouseyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:25 PM   #20

rouseyfire wrote:
Quote:
You are correct. I just checked my old sales receipt and the camera (g5) was $549.00. The total included a new case, extra battery, 512mb compact flash, 2 year extended warrranty and tax. I stand corrected.

I like your thinking---$500.00 and wait until new innovations and improvements are made by the camera makers--great idea!

While I'm here, how does the noise level compare between the g5 and fz30? I'm happy with the g5 and will pleased if the noise levels are similar. All the comparisons are between similar model cameras on todays' market. It would be nice and helpful to see reviews showing the difference between the new cameras and the older models that people are still using. It would sure make the decision to upgrade a lot easier. The new fz30 should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks.

When I get home later, I can make some crops from G5 and FZ30 shots for comparison reasons. That's going to be interesting for me as well as I have not done it before.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote