Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:27 PM   #11

Here's an invaluable tip. Do all your adjustments with adjustment layers. You can do a levels or curves adjustment by going into your layers menu, click the little black and white circle, and select the adjustment you want to make. This way, you can make adjustments to the adjustment layer without having to duplicate a layer which saves you file space and ram (good for high res images), and you can always go back and tweak the adjustments without having to start over.

Also, you can make an adjustment layer like levels or curves and change it's type to something like screen or multiply, and it will look the same as if you duplicated the original layer and made it screen or multiply. This saves you file and ram space again, and lets you make adjustments to the look of the effect more easily.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:34 PM   #12

Another thing about adjustment layers; if you have a group of pictures that all need the same adjustment, you can simply copy the adjustment layers to all the pictures in that group.

I could keep on going like this...
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:56 PM   #13

Hi there,

Yes indeed, there is a lot to get out of an image with the help of PS. In spring I went on holiday to New Zealand. Unfortunately we had a lot of hazy weather which made nature shots a little unsatisfying at times. But only as long as there is no PS at work...
If I may post some f717 pics here...
This picture of lake pukaki (south-island) shows some heavy amounts of haze and quite a bluish-white cast....
Attached Images

Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:58 PM   #14

The second picture was upgraded with levels and a little contrast (Fred Miranda Velvia Vision). It looks a little artificial, but I promise the waters of lake pukaki really are that turquois.
Greetings
Ivan
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:07 PM   #15

That's a pretty nice picture Ivan, especially after the Photoshop adjustments! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:39 AM   #16

Thanks, Jim.
And thank goodness Christmas holidays are close. I can't wait to take my new fz30 to the fields finally. I'm also curious what kind of pictures await me from you guys, when I'm back.

Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:40 PM   #17

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. As a former F717 owner, I've always used Photoshop for adjustments, and I usually use the adjustment layers, also. I'll usually make my adjustments using levels - I've never quite got the handle on using curves. I'd usually do several adjustment layers using several different method of levels and then decide which I like best. Having raw and the ability to do many of the same thingswith the raw converterhas been a real learning experience (though at times frustrating when I've made changes, brought it into photoshop and then realized I didn't like it at all, which means opening the file again and starting over).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote