Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:33 PM   #1

Feels like I've read the messages until I'm weary, but it's great learning. Even though my first camera wasa Brownie Hawkeye , and I've used an FZ10 for several years, I still consider myself a novice because I was a point and shooter upuntil the past three years or so. I would like some "settings" assistance with my new FZ30.

It *seemed* to me that folks were recommending ISO 80 or 100. So I used ISO 80 today, outside. It was overcast, but not THAT dark. I really got a SD card load of dark photos. Understanding that if you have the time, you can menu through and make any changes you want to the ISO and white balance - what do you recommend for the upcoming, "gotta do it, and make copies for mom" Christmas photos? I almost never enlarge and just do basic 6 X 4 prints. I would like to practice around the house before this day arrives.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

Capella wrote:
Quote:
Feels like I've read the messages until I'm weary, but it's great learning. Even though my first camera wasa Brownie Hawkeye , and I've used an FZ10 for several years, I still consider myself a novice because I was a point and shooter upuntil the past three years or so. I would like some "settings" assistance with my new FZ30.

It *seemed* to me that folks were recommending ISO 80 or 100. So I used ISO 80 today, outside. It was overcast, but not THAT dark. I really got a SD card load of dark photos. Understanding that if you have the time, you can menu through and make any changes you want to the ISO and white balance - what do you recommend for the upcoming, "gotta do it, and make copies for mom" Christmas photos? I almost never enlarge and just do basic 6 X 4 prints. I would like to practice around the house before this day arrives.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Hi Debbie with the camera set to factory defaults and at ISO80/100 outdoors the camera should take well exposed pics of average scenes even in grey light.

Auto WB is mostly ok...

Set the cam to the red A mode and let it look after things The 9point metering works well too for a lot of situations.

Later use advanced modes.

With a new Cam Anxiety can set in if things don't come out as you foresaw thing is read the manual and take some time ... and shoot many pics... no film after all only digital images.

If images are dark you have set the FZ30 metering to a mode and you are metering incorrectly in some way.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:24 PM   #3

OK, but it's really hard not to want to play. I had been shooting in the program mode and some withaperture preferred. I'll go through my menu settings again after dinner and make sure I haven't made a wild change of some kind.

Funny, an on-line friend of mine got an FZ20 about a week ago. I've beentelling herexactly what you recommend. Let the camera pick for you for awhile. It really isn't easy trying to practice what you preach!

Deb
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:30 PM   #4

I do not get good results from that red A mode and I am sure its the way I meter...you can not teach an old dog new tricks.

But I am a firm believer in setting the ISO to automatic, at least until you are sure you know why youdo not want it that way.

I very seldom take it off auto ISO and when I do its usually to set it at 400.

I just do not believe in forcing the camera to do something that isdifficult ( like using ISO 80) when it would rather use ISO200.

I doubt you would see any noise in a 4 X 6 print ,and a correct exposure goes a long way to eliminating noise.

If you are taking indoor photos practice using the flash.

Good luck

Just keep trying the couple suggestions you have and see what seems to be working for you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote