Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1

Would someone please explain whatthe difference between TIFF on my FZ 15 & RAW on the FZ 30 is? I have TIFF on my FZ 15 and a photo will have around 13 MP. I have not foundmuchdifference in a photo taken in FINE JPEG with about 1.5 MP and one taken in TIFF.

Don :?
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:28 AM   #2

I came to the same conclusion about Tiff and JPEG.. but Raw allows more adjustment options as it is the file from the camera with none of the in camera settings applied.

But you need a program to edit the file such as Rawshooter ..Silkypix or ACR...some people feel there is a huge advantage but I do not see it.

Perhaps if I had a more of an need for the perfect picture..but I am satisfied with the JPEG files from the FZ30....and want the Extended zoom and burst mode more than I want Raw...if the camera permitted both I may use raw more or if it was quicker to switch in and out of raw ,I would use it more.

Thats only my opinion...others differ big time.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the explanation Gene. I also bought the FZ15 for the zoom and burst mode.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4

TIFF is an impractical format for a digital camera IMO. In your case you would lose the burst mode, which I find very handy. I think the Venus engine is fantastic. Your TIFF cycle times are better than any non-DSLR I know of. But even 4 seconds can be a drag. And there isn't very much advantage to TIFF.

I think JPG artifacts are a little overblown. Panasonic has a fairly high compression, but I don't see artifacts that would be a problem unless you resave using a lower quality compression after working on an image. I'm pretty picky about my images in shooting at low contrast to get the maximum dynamic range and low sharpening to get the fewest artifacts. I want the best image I can get for post processing, but never use TIFF. If I had a camera that would let me shoot a five shot 3fps burst in TIFF and have normal cycle times I would buy a larger card and use it if raw wasn't available. But such a camera doesn't exist. And except for the Venus engine, waiting for cycle time is like watching the grass grow.

Raw has definite advantages. And the FZ30 is one of the few prosumer cameras with which I would use the mode regularly because of the good cycle times. But there would still be situations where I would use JPG.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote