Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:20 PM   #1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a TCON17 after much deliberating, and generally I am very happy. I have a question, I took the following shot of a little egret, which seems to show quite substantial vignetting, I took it on full x 12 zoom?

Now I am fairly new to the whole photography business, and I assume vignetting was where you reduced the zoom below about x 6 and caught some of the edging from the lense, but I have never noticed this effect before?

Now looking back when I took the picture I had the following configuration and wondered if this is what caused this effect. I had the FZ30, then a UV filter, then a Polarizer and then the TCON17. Should I not use a polarizer or UV filter in between the primary lense and the teleconverter? Does it matter?

Here is the picture (with and without a indicator)
Attached Images

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

Main Pic
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

You guessed the problem ...if you use no filter between the camera and the lens is the best idea but do not use 2 filters and especially a polarizer.

Give it a try without the filters....

I use a thin UV filter from Hoya (Super pro)and it seems to me that works pretty well, for a while I thought it was better with the thin filter than with no filter but I am changing my mind again...No filter seems best and the vignetting will stop at 3X on the FZ30.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:40 PM   #4

frankly, looking at the "main image" you posted, i don't see any vignetting. i'd be far more concerned about the exposure and the blown highlights on the egret than the negligible amount of shading in the corners... but that's just me. what were your lens settings?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:41 PM   #5

Many thanks for your comments, yes the egret is quite burnt out, I do have some better quality ones, but generally I have difficulty with white birds. It was a very bright day, settings were F3.7, 1/60 Sec, ISO 80.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:53 PM   #6

yeah, white birds like that are very hard to capture cleanly. the FZ doesn't have the dynamic range to deal with so much contrast. i find for shots like that, setting the EV to -2/3 or maybe even -1 helps - it reduces the exposure on the bird, although the background does tend to get darker. still, better than using spot metering on the bird alone... if you do that, you often get the bird okay, but the background is simply a dark mess...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:54 PM   #7

Many thanks for the tips, I shall try the EV tip out next time. I shall also remember to remove the polarizer before attaching the TCON17!

Cheers

Chris