Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:24 PM   #1

After removing my new TCON-17 from my FZ5, I noticed a perfectly round 'spot' on my Hoya UV lens. Upon closer examination, I'm wondering if its a defect either in the coatings or glass lamination (if this filters uses this construction).

The 'spot' was not noticed upon receipt from 2filters.com last week and is not affected when cleaning lens with the 2filter.com's Lenspen on either side.

I'd appreciate any comments/opinions before I go back to 2filters.com for a possible replacement...
Attached Images

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:56 PM   #2

That is a strange looking flaw! I think I'd contact the dealer and maybe send them a picture to see what they suggest.
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Looks like a bubble in the emulsion coating. Grounds for return, IMO. I got a hoya uv filter from adorama with bubbles in the coating. They replaced it.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:33 PM   #4

I discovered the same type of spot on my UV filter from the same source back about 2 months ago. However like you, it was not detected when it arrived; and I am positive it was not there. So I thought it might be a defective piece of glass also. Strangley enough I had been using lens pens for the past two years and a pen, no matter how hard I rubbed, could not remove the spot. I was going to return mine but after considering the situation, convinced myself that if it was not there when it arrived maybe I caused it. Figuring that I now owned an empty ring for my FZ30 when I removed the glass, or maybe an experimental filter I would spray lightly with paint, I gave one more shot at cleaning. This time with my 1st micro fibre cloth just bought. A breath of hot air on it (I was even going to use a drop of water if need be) and some elbow grease with the micro fibre cloth --- cleaned it up just fine. Give that a try.
But, --- now I don't have the "experimental" filter I was planning on getting out of it. Dang!

:|
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5

m.achure wrote:
Quote:
one more shot at cleaning. This time with my 1st micro fibre cloth just bought. A breath of hot air on it (I was even going to use a drop of water if need be) and some elbow grease with the micro fibre cloth --- cleaned it up just fine. Give that a try.

:|
Been there, tried that, with the microfiber cloth... No luck.

The photos that I've taken don't show any effects. While the closeup was with the FZ5, no flash and a +4 diopter, visuallythe circular spot isseemingly silver and absent any coloration which makes me believe it might be a poor coating. T'was a pain to get a half decent closeup to show the spot :?

I e-mailed 2filter an inquiry and the photo. I'll post a follow up with their response.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:52 AM   #6

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
That is a strange looking flaw! I think I'd contact the dealer and maybe send them a picture to see what they suggest.
After sending an e-mail inquiry with the photo, I received the following reply. It pays to do business with a reputable vendor...

In a message dated 12/13/2005 7:03:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi,
From the picture it looks like there is a defect. I can send you out a new filter and a postage paid envelope for you to return the defective one to us. What is the size on the filter?
Tracy
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7

Thats good to know ..I have purchased from them many times but I never needed to return anything.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:12 AM   #8

Hi all:

I thought that I'd give deserving KUDOS to 2Filter.com for their prompt customer service and honoring their warranty.

I just received a mailer from them with a new HOYA HMC Super UV(O) 55mm filter to replace the above problematic one. They also included a mailer with full return postage for sending the bad one back.