Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:01 PM   #11

Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance (I had purchased a number of Hoya filters in my 35 mm days and always liked them). I went out at lunch time and chose some very shiny leaves to focus on. Then I could see the filter block the glare. The effects are less than what I remember, but I can see where I'll use it for reflective surfaces (likeat the beach sometime - sounds like an excuse fora trip somewhere).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:12 PM   #12

I recently upgraded from the FZ20 to the FZ30 and there is a definite shift from warm to cool hues. I personally liked the warmercolors of the FZ20, although skin tones appeared unnaturally rosy, which Iactually didn't mind (see my avatarfor an example). I just ordered a skylight filter to "warm up" the FZ30's colors a little. Also, LoveLife suggested in another forum toshift the WB fine adjustment setting one step toward red. I am still quite new to the FZ30, and have not yet fully made up my mind about it. It appears to be more a matter of taste. The cooler, blander colors of the FZ30 are probably more realistic, but to me it was an unwelcome change from the color rendition of the FZ20 which I loved.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:06 PM   #13

Yeah, I tried to shift the WB towards red as well. The thing is: these images tend to look red and not the way, I want them to look like. I was content first, but after a time, I came to the conclusion that I changed one little artificial (or at least not that pleasing) look for another. I prefer to push in some gold cast in pp now. I will try a sky filter though, now that I heard you lot also do this.
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:13 PM   #14

How do you do the "gold cast" in PS?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:27 PM   #15

Ivan Karamasov escribió:
Quote:
muchas grazias, senor. Creo, que voy a comprar un sky-filter en este caso.
Do you think it pays off to buy a "quality product"?
Greetings
Ivan (el espantoso :?)

Yes, for sure. You have one of the finest lens in your camera, so it deserves a good quality filter.

Saludos!!!

Marco T.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:35 PM   #16

Thought, I had already mentioned that. Must have been in another thread.
If you have Photoshop, you can use a plugin by fred miranda called "Velvia Vision". With this plugin, you can add dynamic range (in some occasions this really seems to work), contrast and warm colors. Here is an example:
original

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:40 PM   #17

and now the image, altered with velvia vision. Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop myself. If you have other (freeware) ideas, you're always welcome. Anybody has experiences with "the gimp"?
Anyway, here comes the processed sample (warm colors and dynamic range added). The difference may be only slight, but for me it means a lot.

ahh, and thanks to you MSantos...
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:46 PM   #18

Thanks. I can see the difference, slight but nice. I will try that plug-in. Where do I find it? On the Adobe Exchange site?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:55 PM   #19

No, I fear you have to go to fred miranda's site. The plugin unfortunately is not freeware. It costs something like 30 $$.
Another way to give fz30 pics a "nicer" look with Photoshop without this extra plugin would be to use the warm(81) fotofilter. That one can be found under the menu "adjust" not in the filters catalogue. If you apply something like 20% your result will be some way similar .
Actually it will look like that:

Attached Images