Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1

Has anyone noticed that the FZ30's white balance seems on the cool side? Just a bit to blue. Or is it just my imagination? It seem's my FZ10 was warmer.
tony3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

Yep, and with neon ligth & auto white-balance..... The pictures are green

I never use auto White balance, I use the presets and add a skyligth filter.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:36 AM   #3

hmmm yes, that is something that I really don't care for with the fz30.
I didn't try a skylight filter yet, maybe thats the best solution. Could you tell us, how much light that costs?
In summer and in bright light I planned to use a polarizer, but you cannot do that all the time. You do not alway want the effect and moreover it costs at least one f-stop.

If you are looking for a software solution, you could try fred miranda's Photoshop plugin "Velvia Vision". This program offers a nice and adjustable golden touch, some settings for contrast and some for dynamic range increase. Works very fine, I think. If you do not want to buy this, you can try the photoshops built in 81 warm filter. It has very similar effects.

Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:38 PM   #4

I find the FZ20 pushes red a wee bit too much. This is especially highlighted in portraits and other shots with a bit of skin showing.

Maybe the FZ30 is more to neutral but with being habituated to the FZ10 (which is close to the FZ20 in WB) it seems cold.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:08 PM   #5

I've noticed the same thing, but since I started using raw, it doesn't matter as much.

Ivan - I have a question about a polarizer (am I asking this in the right place?). I never quite got around to buying one for my old camera, though I had enjoyed using one with my old film camera years ago. I was looking forward to using one with the digital camera, so I bought an inexpensive one (hoya) at Best Buy on Sunday.

It doesn't work at all the way I remembered. As I remember, to get the greatest effect from a polerizer, you have the sun at your shoulder (image essentially 90 degrees from the sun), and then turn the outer ring to get the effect you want. However, yesterday when I was playing with it a bit, I saw no change whatsoever. I figure that there are4 possibilities.

First, the one I bought was cheap and that's the reason it doesn't work the way I remember.

Two, I've got everything about polarizers messed up in my mind, and I'm way off-base.

Third, I was using auto white balance and the FZ30 automatically adjusted everything to take away the advantage you get from using the polarizer.

Finally the marine layer hadn't completely burned off so it was sort-of hazy and perhaps the haze blocked thelight that the polarizer is designed to block. In which case, I need a bright day to test it out.

Can anyone let me know which is the probable answer?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:51 PM   #6

I don't think your polarizer is too cheap. I don't have a hoya, but the brand has quite a good reputation and I have never heard that their polarizers wouldn't do the job. The quality of polarizers is rather judged in respect to their coating and optical clarity. The linear polarizer I use was also very cheap and maybe it is not of such a high quality but the effects it produces are very obvious.
WB shouldn't be the problem neither. Polarizers do not (at the first place) influence colors but rather filter the incoming light.
I'm not sure, what the problem was in your case then:?. Maybe the explanation with the marine haze has something to it and it simply wasn't the right time.

If you want to check out the efficacy of your filter, you can try it at home though. Just aim at some reflecting surfaces like plastic, wood or glass (not metal) and turn the polarizer ring. If the Hoya filter works correctly, you should notice obvious changes in the intensity of the reflections.

May I ask you a question in turn? What program do you use to read work those raw files? I tried out "silky pix", which worked quite fine, but it is not freeware. I'm not yet sure if I'm willing to pay the price of around 120 $$ for it. Do you have a cheaper idea?

Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:35 PM   #7

mtngal escribió:
Quote:
Ivan - I have a question about a polarizer (am I asking this in the right place?). I never quite got around to buying one for my old camera, though I had enjoyed using one with my old film camera years ago. I was looking forward to using one with the digital camera, so I bought an inexpensive one (hoya) at Best Buy on Sunday.

It doesn't work at all the way I remembered. As I remember, to get the greatest effect from a polerizer, you have the sun at your shoulder (image essentially 90 degrees from the sun), and then turn the outer ring to get the effect you want. However, yesterday when I was playing with it a bit, I saw no change whatsoever. I figure that there are4 possibilities.

Your polarizer is good,also your understanding; the problem is that in P or Scene Mode the LCD or EVF will adjust automatically and you will not notice the polarizing effect. Set the camera to S, A or M mode and turn the ring of the polarizer, you will see now the effect, chose the best for you and then, if you want, change back the setting of the camera to P or Scene Mode.

Good luck
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:37 PM   #8

Ivan Karamasov escribió:
Quote:
I didn't try a skylight filter yet, maybe thats the best solution. Could you tell us, how much light that costs?

It cost no any ligth !!! I have it always attached to my FZ-30 (for protecting the lens) instead an UV filter. UV is totally transparent, Skyligth is a little bit pink, but the ligth is the same.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:11 PM   #9

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Ivan Karamasov escribió:
Quote:

It cost no any ligth !!! I have it always attached to my FZ-30 (for protecting the lens) instead an UV filter. UV is totally transparent, Skyligth is a little bit pink, but the ligth is the same.
muchas grazias, senor. Creo, que voy a comprar un sky-filter en este caso.
Do you think it pays off to buy a "quality product"?
Greetings
Ivan (el espantoso :?)
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:55 PM   #10

I've been using Photoshop for a long time and recently upgraded to CS2. If you have it, you can download Adobe's raw converter (3.2 supports the FZ30) for free. From what I've read here, it's far better than the software Panasonic ships with the camera, so I've never bothered to install it on my computer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote