Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

Their comparison puts FZ30 inlast place because of the noise, but they would borrow the things we love about the FZ "supertele reach, bright lens and image stabilization" and add to the Fijifilm S9000or the Nikon CoolPix 8800.

From the shots posted on this forum the noise of the FZ30 does not seem nearly as bad as they make it sound "Unacceptable at ISO 100" but they say, " If Panasonic figures out the noise equation, it could blow the other two cameras into the weeds". WATCH OUT, that sounds like a challenge to me. I know it's not that easy, but those guy's are pretty sharp at Pana'. I can't wait for the next FZ!

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:47 PM   #2

I'm with you Don! I think the next FZ is going to rock a lot of boats! I'm going to the CES Show next month and will be making the Panasonic booth my first stop. Hope to find out what's coming next and maybe see a sneak preview! Will post whatever I find out, with pictures of course! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:09 PM   #3

the gauntlet has been thrown! as i've mentioned before, if the next generation FZ cameras retain the Leica 12x lens, and solve the noise issue, they're gonna cut a wide swath through the entry-level DSLR market. they've already got most of the capability of a lot of DSLR's, except in terms of noise, focus speed, and viewfinder technology (thewhole EVF thing is a poor second to a real TTL viewfinder); if they can address even two out of three of those, they'll have a giant-killer on their hands.

i'd be quite content if the FZ40, or whatever it is, uses the same sensor as the '30, but cuts the pixel count to 6.3. that'd be a 25% reduction in pixel density, which would mean a substantial improvement in noise performance, with no appreciable loss of photo capability - except for those who insist that more MP is always better, and/or want prints the size of a barn door.or Panamight come up with a way to solve the noise issue electronically, with improved thermal characteristics and reduced dark current in the photodiodes. either way, if they can reduce noise to the point that the FZ has a clean, relatively noise free ISO400,that newcamerawill seriously rock! and given that Matsushita Electronics, Pana's parent company, is one of the largest, best funded, and most advanced electronics companies in the world, if anyone can do those things, they can!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:06 PM   #4

Unfortunately, many people think that if the camera is dSLR-like, it should have lots of pixels. That's been one of the things many camera makers have been pushing with their advertising. It would be harder for them to market a smaller MP camera with a super lens and less noise to those who are just buying a camera. Perhaps they could increase the size of the sensor without going as big as Sony did with the R1? Then do the rest with software?

A friend of mine told me she bought a Kodak Z7590, and I just got finished looking at a couple of reviews of the camera. There is no way I would want my photos to look so over-processed just to avoid noise, so I hope that Panasonic doesn't go that way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:39 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, many people think that if the camera is dSLR-like, it should have lots of pixels. That's been one of the things many camera makers have been pushing with their advertising. It would be harder for them to market a smaller MP camera with a super lens and less noise to those who are just buying a camera. Perhaps they could increase the size of the sensor without going as big as Sony did with the R1? Then do the rest with software?
to a point, yes. it depends on how the camera is marketed. Panasonic has lots of point-n-shoot models, and can easily sell those based on megapixels to the soccer-mom and snapshot crowd, buti think the word is out that the FZ's are enthusiasts' cameras. marketing strategies differ from one target market to another, and for that market, folks like us who mostlyknow that there's more to image quality than pixels, Panasonic could easily market a slightly lower-resolution, but"cleaner", camera and still keep that super lens. after all, the Canon 10D, widely regarded as the gold standard for image quality, is "only" a 6.3 MP camera, and Nikon just introduced a 4 MP DSLR! and if Pana did lose a few of the snapshot crowd, i bet they'd more than make it up among folks who want near-DSLR performance and image quality at the prices Panasonic could offer.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:32 PM   #6

Squirl033, sadly yours is pure utopia.

They will at least push it to 9Mp, I hope they'll rest on 8Mp.

You know a step back in pixels is impossible for market laws, but you re right, how greater the images would be, despite theslightly less res.

Francesco

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote