Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:24 AM   #1

Hi everyone...
I'm still trying to learn my new camera and catch up to all you wonderful photographers. I have found that taking night pictures is a good way for me to learn. You may find this shot uninteresting, but I thought it was kinda neat. I took it in pitch black darkness of night with full zoom. The moon was high and small, but it was a clear crispy cold night. Any ideas? Suggestions? Critiques? General thoughts?! :-)

Attached Images

wildcatrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:35 AM   #2

normally i don't like moon shots where the moon is just a bright light, but in this one, it seems to work. the light from the moon forms kind of a neat halo effect in the branches...

however, if you want to darken the moon itself, and bring out the details on its surface, especially for a full moon, try shooting at faster shutter speeds, like 1/200 or 1/250. aperture isn't super critical, because the moon is so distant that DOF is almost infinite anyway, but it does seem to be a tad sharper at the edges if you use an aperture between f5.6 and f8. obviously, if you open up the aperture (i.e. f3.7, for example), you'll want to compensate by speeding up the shutter a bit to keep the exposure the same. try various speed and aperture settings, using the ones i've mentioned as a starting point, and see what you get. with these settings, you'd lose most of the tree in the darkness, but the moon itself would be clear with visible surface detail. as with any shot like this, it's best to use a tripod and either the self timer or acable release, even for shots at 1/250.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:39 AM   #3

Yup, neat the way the limbs swirl around a near sun like moon.
Its fine in the effect achieved.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4

Nice effect. When I first looked at it I thought it was taken through a spyder web. Do try Squirls suggestions on settings though, it will show you just what changes to make to get the effect you want.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:49 PM   #5

Thank you, Tazzie. I thought it looked pretty neat - I found it very interesting how sun-like the moon came out just by adjusting the settings and the glow it cast on those branches. I guess that's the novice in me. :-)
Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:55 PM   #6

Thanks Squirl. I was experimenting with many different apertures and shutter speeds - saying that kinda makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about. :lol: The previous night I did take some moon shots using the shutter speeds you suggested - I actually searched and pulled them from a previous post you had made. I don't recall how much pp this photo has, but for my first try I was very happy. (I did use a tripod, and I also took some with and without digital zoom.)

It has been so gray and dreary here for so long, I wish I could get some nice daytime shots. Until then I'll keep practicing the night and darkness.

Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7

I like the way the moon seems to set fire to the tree branches. Nice effect

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:10 PM   #8

My first impression of that first moon shot was that the swirling glow in the branches was actually in the clouds, giving the illusion of heaven opening up and the light of God shining down upon the Earth. Like so:

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote