Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:11 AM   #1

Hi folks. The new FZ-5 for Wifey just arrived.

This cameracame with a filter that is too large and an adapter ring thatdoes not work. Looking at the front of the lense, we are puzzled.:? How in the world do we use filters on this camera? For now, we are only concerned about using a UV filter to protect the lense, but desire to use other filters as well.

Is it possible to share filters from my FZ-30 by using an adapter?:?

Thanks and Merry Christmas! O and Mrs. O
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:21 AM   #2

Hey, i just got mine (FZ-5) this week also.

Can some of you tell me about image stablization - weither to stay in mode 1 or mode 2? The manuel didn't give much advice in this regard if i remember correctly.

Also, often times BEFORE i press the shutter release the image in the LCD looks blurry - Yet, AFTER when i review the image taken in the LCD window it looks clear and in focus. Is my camera defective or do i need to tweak a setting or what?

Stated another way - i'm taking pics that look blurry when trying to get the shot - yet when i view the shot in the LCD the image is clear. Kind of like shoting in the dark but getting good results anyway. Not what i had in mine. I'm a newby. This is my first diggy.

dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:01 AM   #3

if i remember right, there's a trim ring around the lens barrel tht you have to remove, and the adapter screws on where the trim ring used to be. then you can attach filters, etc., to the outer end of the adapter. filters should be interchangeable with your FZ30.

the only thing i can think of regarding your blurry LCD question (assuming you're using the LCD and not the EVF) is that perhaps you have the camera set in continuous AF mode? i almost never use that. turn it off and see if that helps. as for the OIS, i use only mode 2, which activates the stabilizer only at the moment the shutter is pressed. that way i don't have to try to remember to turn it off when using a tripod, and it's not working all the time trying to stabilize the image when i'm trying to compose the shot. i'm not sure if using mode 1 might contribute to your blurry LCD image, but it's possible...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
if i remember right, there's a trim ring around the lens barrel tht you have to remove, and the adapter screws on where the trim ring used to be. then you can attach filters, etc., to the outer end of the adapter. filters should be interchangeable with your FZ30.

the only thing i can think of regarding your blurry LCD question (assuming you're using the LCD and not the EVF) is that perhaps you have the camera set in continuous AF mode? i almost never use that. turn it off and see if that helps. as for the OIS, i use only mode 2, which activates the stabilizer only at the moment the shutter is pressed. that way i don't have to try to remember to turn it off when using a tripod, and it's not working all the time trying to stabilize the image when i'm trying to compose the shot. i'm not sure if using mode 1 might contribute to your blurry LCD image, but it's possible...

Thanks for the good thoughts. I need lots of help! Can't check my settings now. I'm at work and the camera is at home. But will check the things you made mention of above. I'm still not clear on the OIS thing. WHat harm would it present in your above thoughts (tripod, composing, etc)? Thanks again.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

No trim ring on the fz3/4/5. The fz5 supplied lens hood adapter has 55mm front threads for add-on lens attachment. A 55mm uv filter should attach easily to the front threads. The adapter mounts on the camera with a bayonet style connection; pg 20 of the manual. Same filters/converters that work with fz30 (also 55mm) will work with the fz5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

If not continous AF mode - how does one focus otherwise? I'm coming from a P/S always AF mindset when i was using my 35mm. Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:36 AM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
No trim ring on the fz3/4/5. The fz5 supplied lens hood adapter has 55mm front threads for add-on lens attachment. A 55mm uv filter should attach easily to the front threads. The adapter mounts on the camera with a bayonet style connection; pg 20 of the manual. Same filters/converters that work with fz30 (also 55mm) will work with the fz5.
thanks, Fred... i wasn't sure, it appeared there was a trim ring like the FZ20...

Oberjager, if you turn off the continuous AF, the camera will only focus when you press the shutter. if you press halfway, it will focus and let you compose the shot before fully releasing the shutter, and the shutter lag (the time between pressing the button and actually capturing the image) will be negligible. if you just push the button, it will still autofocus, but will take longer to capture the image, and you will have to hold the camera perfectly still, even at higher shutter speeds, because the camera takes a half-second or so to focus before it takes the shot. leaving the AF on all the time uses your battery faster, and seldom if ever results in better pictures, so i don't use it with my FZ20.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:51 AM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks, Fred... i wasn't sure, it appeared there was a trim ring like the FZ20...

Oberjager, if you turn off the continuous AF, the camera will only focus when you press the shutter. if you press halfway, it will focus and let you compose the shot before fully releasing the shutter, and the shutter lag (the time between pressing the button and actually capturing the image) will be negligible. if you just push the button, it will still autofocus, but will take longer to capture the image, and you will have to hold the camera perfectly still, even at higher shutter speeds, because the camera takes a half-second or so to focus before it takes the shot. leaving the AF on all the time uses your battery faster, and seldom if ever results in better pictures, so i don't use it with my FZ20.
Quote:
***Maybe my expectations are all wrong. I was thinking that i could look through the LCD and things would always look clear and in focus - even while zooming. This is the way things work with my PS 35mm. Is that a wrong expectation to have for a diggy camera?
Quote:
so, the way i work my diggy - is i look at something blurry in the LCD and then hope that it is actually in focus when ipush the shutter release??? The timing of the thing seems kind of tricky if i have to push it half way, check the LCD to see if it looks focused -and then push it all the way down. I guess one gets used to it.
Quote:
I'm still stick in my 35mm PS with Zoom. I zoom in on stuff - it stays nice andfocused the whole time - then i snap the photo.Often i push the shutter release half down to check the focus via the green light in the viewfinder.
Quote:
Am i making this diggy harder than it needs to be? It just seems strange to me that when i reveiw the image after it is taken - it looks clear and in focus - but that same image was blurry when viewed through the LCDPRIOR to taking thephoto. . . . Thankfully it doesn't cost anythingto practice because OBVIOUSLY, i need a LOT of practice!
Quote:
And, if you are the one that posted about BH photo - thanks. That was a good tip. I called them and purchased accessories from them. Friendly and knowledgeable and efficient. Thanks again.

Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9

oberjager wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the front of the lense, we are puzzled.:? How in the world do we use filters on this camera? For now, we are only concerned about using a UV filter to protect the lense, but desire to use other filters as well.
oberjager- As others have pointed out, the FZ5 (Had mine for 2-weeks now) uses the included bayonet adapter to allow 55mm filters/lens to be mounted to the camera. It does have about 1mm of material before the threads start. No problem for attaching components that have ~4+ lines of threads. Use a UV filter with male threads on one side (to the lens) and female threads to the subject side. This allows additional filters/lens to be mounted to metal female threads instead of the stock adapter's plastic threads.

You'll need the dual threaded filter to attach components with shallow threads (like the TCON-17) more securely or you'll need to carefully sand off the 1mm of no threads.

The following photo is of a dusty FZ5 w/o the adapter and camera lens fully extended-

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...r/P1010001.jpg

The following is of the Adapter with the extra 1mm sanded off - the first thread now starts around the flash glare-

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7.../P10100091.jpg

The next shows the adapter w/ a HOYA 55mm UV(O) filter (w/metal threads) attached-

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7.../P10100081.jpg

Adapter & UV filter attached to camera body-

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7.../P10100031.jpg

This shows the shallow (~3) threads available on the TCON-17 telephoto lens -

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7.../P10100012.jpg

and, finally, the adapter + UV(O) Filter + TCON-17 attached to FZ5 camera body-

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7.../P10100011.jpg

Welcome to the Pany Forum Family - There are a number of great, experienced mentors/tutors here! It helps to do a forum keyword search first to read past answers and then post questions if still not clear...

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:24 PM   #10

fmoore - THANK YOU for explaining the situation. I was reading other source info and did not find the right answer untilreading your reply. I followed your lead and installed the adaptor and filter just as you say.:-) The mount and filter enclose the lense similar to my camera. That makes this FZ-5 really look like a "mini-me" version of my FZ-30. I know it must be a hit because wifey says it is CUTE.:-)

Telecorder - THANKS for all the helpful references and photos. And, thanks for the welcome. That means alot! Wife and I are long time photographers and after using some cheapo digicams now have better gear. We recently found this website and are having lots of fun. We look forward to learning more from the experts on here.

Thanks to all who helped! Best wishes and Merry Christmas! O and Mrs. O

oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote