Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:32 AM   #1

Just curious - anyone know what LUMIX means/stands for?

Also, how'd the company come up with the name panasonic? Thanks.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:45 AM   #2

don't know about the Lumix name (though it seems to be some sort of techie play on the Latin "lumen", or "light"), but Panasonic has been around for years. the parent company is Matsushita Electronics. Panasonic started out(at least in this country) back in the early 70's making mostly inexpensive radios and audio equipment, so i suspect the name is derived from the Greek prefix "pan", meaning "all", combined with "sonic", having to do with sound.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:56 AM   #3

:shock:
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:58 AM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
don't know about the Lumix name (though it seems to be some sort of techie play on the Latin "lumen", or "light"), but Panasonic has been around for years. the parent company is Matsushita Electronics. Panasonic started out (at least in this country) back in the early 70's making mostly inexpensive radios and audio equipment, so i suspect the name is derived from the Greek prefix "pan", meaning "all", combined with "sonic", having to do with sound.

Very Cool! Thanks. ALso, if you are the one that posted about BH photo - thanks. I got some good stuff from them. Great service!
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:04 AM   #5

This is what Panasonic says about "Lumix":

It was a flash of brilliance. When Leica optical technologies converged with Panasonic digital technologies, a bright new light – LUMIX – was illuminated in the camera world.
We coined the LUMIX name from the words "luminance" and "mix," as in mixing different things together. LUMIX represents the crystallization of technologies from two entirely different companies, each a leader in its field. These great forces – optical technologies from Leica and digital imaging technologies from Panasonic – transcended the barriers of culture and experience to create something new. What drew them together was a common goal: to give people the ability to create photographs that, like the finest works of art, touch us on a deep emotional level.
This goal serves as the foundation of a collaborative partnership between Leica and Panasonic that is helping to revolutionize the world of digital camera lenses.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...ory/index.html
SirGlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:29 PM   #6

I know what both mean:

Panasonic + Lumix = great lenses ;-)
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:19 PM   #7

I thought it was the sound that a German frog made after eating a bad fly!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:50 PM   #8

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I thought it was the sound that a German frog made after eating a bad fly!
What's the sound of a Nuyorican frog?
"Bloomix!"

[Triumph mode]I keeeed, I keeeed![/Triumph mode] :G
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:18 AM   #9

As I remember, the Panasonic name wasused for Mat's exports to the U.S. My perception is that the merchandise was distinguished by features intended specifically for the U.S./North Americanmarket or, in some instances, the lack of features otherwise available in Japan. Onedifference between Panasonicand many other Japanese-brand electronic goodswas/is Panasonic's singular voltage/cycle setting, i'e', no voltage choices for use in other countries.

Around the late 60's/early 70'sthe perception of Japanese imports went from cheap toys to quality electronics, cameras, autos, etc. I still have, and use daily, a Panasonic portable radio given to me in 1972.

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:55 PM   #10

Prior to 2004, Matsushita Electronic Corperation used 3 key brand names to market products in their individual segments in Japan and most of Asia:

National: Home appliances including refrigerators, washing machines, microwaves, etc.

Panasonic: Initially for entry level audio visual electronics such as Televisions, Radios and audio speakers,

Technics: High End audio electronics including Musical Instruments such as Digital Pianos, Electric Guitars, etc. turntables, Hi-fi,

Due to Trademark Restrictions with companies worldwide over the use of "National"; MEC had to use Panasonic for products exported to those countries.

In 2004, MEC decided to phase out the separation between brands, unifyand focus on using a single brandname - Panasonic which had gained worldwide recognition.

Nowadays, Panasonic is a global brand name for a diverse portfolio of electronic products for both the consumer and the commercial market.

Note however, that in Japan, all 3 brands are still being used due to historical significance...

MEC also owns some other brand names which may be familiar:

Quasar - low cost av systems sold in north america only
Ramsar - professional audio equipment
JVC - although an independant company, MEC is the controlling stockholder since 1953
Nais - components for automated systems
benjin is offline   Reply With Quote