Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 18, 2005, 3:45 PM   #1

Full R1 review and the lens is superb, some comparo to the FZ30 and the lens is also excellent.

To come will be a full FZ30 review having read the R1 review it will be objective with lens testing some review sites don't do lens tests but merely show scene pics.

What is interesting is in the noise tests it shows that the R1 is very good so also the Fuji 9500 and also the Fuji optics is extremely good albeit not so good corner sharpness but NO IS

The FZ30 shows the worst noise performance but excellent fast optics and still the king of the Hill for 12X zoom, in practice the FZ30 noise is not a problem at ASA80/100 I think the sum of its features makes it a great camera the ultra aoom plus IS is unbeatable.

After all we don't shoot test charts but real life subjects and for that it excells.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyR1/page4.shtml

If you own or are contemplating getting an FZ30 bookmark this site.

This is a new site and is very good with excellent optics tests

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:52 PM   #2

THis is an interesting link John,

though the result is not really surprising.

IMO nothing compares to the sony in terms of image quality at this moment, save dslrs of course.

I hope other brands will follow sony's approach in one way or the other (I don't think everybode needs so much pixels). Maybe in one or two years we'll have loads of cameras in all different sizes, that deliver almost noise free images.

A pocketable cam (size of canon s80 or panasonic lx-1) with real wideangle and very low noise levels would make up a perfect addition to our super zooms, wouldn't it?

Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:52 PM   #3

Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:22 PM   #4

That's what Panasonic writes about the Lumix's noise reduction:

Noise reduction is indispensable to raising image quality, but it can do a lot of damage to the picture if it is not done correctly. If you simply apply it uniformly over the entire image, you lose detail and get extremely flat, lifeless results. As Sakaue describes it, "If you lose the detail in a person's hair, it makes them look like they're wearing a helmet. To avoid this, we detect the noise in each individual pixel, rather than blanketing the entire image with the same level of noise reduction." The new system is able to precisely judge noise, and then reduce it in accordance with the brightness of each target pixel. This greatly cuts noise in dark image areas without sacrificing detail.

Telling, isn't it?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

yes it is,

however, sensors with a larger pixel pitch do not provoque the noise right in the first place. As a result no detail obliterating NR is needed.
The optics for these larger sensors shouldn't be that hard to produce neither. In fact, we all used huge sensors in compact cameras until only a few years ago - these systems were called 35 mm film cameras....
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6

35mm??? never heard of it! Sony n Canon look pretty close. But Sony only has a 5X zoom and it costs a grand. The Panasonic is a great outdoor cam, or it u r usin' a flash. This is why I have been urgin Panasonic to come up with a TTL system, then it would be a great cam. I have the 20D which is still a better cam than the digi rebel, plus I didn't realize that the rebel can't do 3200. I set my Canon to 3200 almost more than any other ISO. If I am outdoors in the sun I just take my FZ30, and it is the only cam I am taking with me to Maui in a couple of weeks. I really liked the review and comparison, thanks John!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:45 PM   #7

Good review John, I didn't see anything that would make me want to trade my FZ30 for the Sony etc. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:58 PM   #8

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Good review John, I didn't see anything that would make me want to trade my FZ30 for the Sony etc. Jim
No Jim I agree with you

Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:36 PM   #9

Great review john and a great link. I agree with Jim. To give up our 12x zoom would be unthinkable. Pana is on the wright track I think. Keeping the zoom and lens and working on the noise. I haven't seen anything posted that had a noise problem. A lot of it is understanding your camera and getting the correct settings for the camera and the specific shot. I'd bet theywork out the noice problem everybody seems to think is there.Then watch out!

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:20 AM   #10

Ivan Karamasov wrote:
Quote:
THis is an interesting link John,

though the result is not really surprising.

IMO nothing compares to the sony in terms of image quality at this moment, save dslrs of course.

I hope other brands will follow sony's approach in one way or the other (I don't think everybode needs so much pixels). Maybe in one or two years we'll have loads of cameras in all different sizes, that deliver almost noise free images.

A pocketable cam (size of canon s80 or panasonic lx-1) with real wideangle and very low noise levels would make up a perfect addition to our super zooms, wouldn't it?

Yes a low noise LX1 would be cool agree + ultra zoom camera