Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:08 AM   #1

I usually use my camera for outdoor shots and leave the dial on P-mode because it gives good(spectacular) results.

However when I use the camera indoors, the flash works intermittently, and I get very dark shots. Even when trying to force the flash on it only sometimes works.

I use a Phayee shutter remote in my mouth as I'm a quadriplegic and my hands are not verygood.

I think something is wrong with my inbuilt flash.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I have tried different settings.
hoju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:23 AM   #2

hoju wrote:
Quote:
I usually use my camera for outdoor shots and leave the dial on P-mode because it gives good(spectacular) results.

However when I use the camera indoors, the flash works intermittently, and I get very dark shots. Even when trying to force the flash on it only sometimes works.

I use a Phayee shutter remote in my mouth as I'm a quadriplegic and my hands are not verygood.

I think something is wrong with my inbuilt flash.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I have tried different settings.
Ok, what do you mean that the flash works "intermittently"? Does that mean that the flash does not go off? If it doesn't, you should set the cam so that the flash always goes off. The shutter remote shouldn't have anything to do with it, as it is just a shutter release. Check your settings also, I am not sure how, but I think you can set everything back to default settings, try that also. Hope this is somewhat helpful (I don't have the cam or manual handy, but I know it is so frustrating when you can't get the pic that u want). Good luck!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:51 AM   #3

If the flash is set to force on ( the lightning bolt with no letters or anything in the EVF or LCD) the flash should fire everytime. In fact I have never noticed it notflashing everytime when its set on auto. (lightning bolt and the letter A).

Are you sure the flash is not firing, or is it you just are getting dark photos?

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:07 AM   #4

Thankyou both for replying.

By "intermittent" Imean the flash workingonly after several attempts.

And when it does, overexposing the picture.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:30 AM   #5

We aretalking about the built in flash?

Any chance you could have a piece of paper or somethingin the hotshoe as there is a switch there that could cause the camera to think there is an external flash .

It may well be a defect.

I can not recall anything that should cause that to happen...If no one else herehas any ideas,maybe you should call Panasonic and see if they have any Ideas.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:37 PM   #6

hoju wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou both for replying.

By "intermittent" Imean the flash workingonly after several attempts.

And when it does, overexposing the picture.

Are you sure the flash is set to forced on, rather than "A" for automatic? If it's on automatic and there is some available light, the camera might "decide" that the available lightis sufficient and not fire the flash. Other than that, the flash should always come on. I never had this problem with my FZ20. And exposure was excellent. The camera did a great job in "throttling down" its power for close-ups and had enough power to reach beyond 12 ft. It had a very natural White balance and rendered warm skin tones and almost never any red eyes. If anything my FZ30 has a bigger problem with overexposure of close-up shots. So, frankly, I don't know where your problem lies. Check all the settings. Make sure the flash settings (press the "up" button three times on your toggle button when the flash is up) aren't set to overexposure or setthem lower as needed. Other than that, I don't know without having the camera in my hands. My avatar is a close up shot taken with the FZ20 and its internal flash at automatic settings. Sowere these:

No problem there. So, if all the exposure settings are at normal, the flash is forced on, and you still have that problem, have a technician look at it.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:48 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Unfortunately after using the reset button, the flash doesn't seem to work at all.

I've checked everything, flash output etc

When you read the manual, if you set the camera to landscape mode it suggests the flash won't be used, but this should be visible on the monitor.

I'll have to take it back to Panasonic.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:14 AM   #8

Once I was wearing a cap while shooting with my FZ-10 and trying to use the flash, but every now and then it just wouldn't fire. After I while I realized my cap was slightly touching the flash, pushing it down a little, and therefore switching it off (to the camera, it was as if it had been closed). I felt so silly.

Anyway, my point was that MAYBE something could have been touching the popped-up flash and making it go off. I don't know how was your shooting situation, but if you're in a small space that might happen.

That's all I've got to say about that.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:26 PM   #9

Before you send it back see if you can get it into a panasonic dealer a camera place like Ritz notcircuit cityor somthing like that,and have someone take a look at it and make sure it isnt a strange thing thats simple but easily overlooked by someone that always uses the camera.

Ive repaired equipment for years and found that sometimes it just takes someone else to have a look at it and they find the solution right away.

Also if you do actually have a problem with the camera the dealers verification can make getting the problem taken care of less of a hastle because Panasonic is more likely to think user error first than to actually look at the issue with the camera.

Heres hoping its somthing simple
mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote