Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:40 AM   #1

I couldn't find any post about that topic. If there is writen something about that, could you tell me?

If not, there are some problems with huge CCD sensors,optisc LCD'sin that temperatures?

I had cameras from 2 to 3 Mpix and now 8Mpix and I'm thinking about what can happend when I try make some phots in temperature like -10 to -30C. Look where I'm living

PS. I don't want lose my Fz30

(I'm sorry for english, I'm new in States )

kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2

the users manual might offer some guidance in terms of operating temperature range. most commercial grade electronics are rated to operate within an ambient range of 0-70 degrees C, and begin to degrade functionally below 0 C. some may fail outright at temperatures of -30 C (-20 F).

if nothing else, i'd be concerned about the effect on the optics, the possibility of the lens freezing in the barrel if it's exposed to those temperatures for an extended period, or fogging over from condensation. the LCDmay also malfunction - liquid crystaldisplays do not like temperatures below 0 on any scale!

frankly, i would avoid lengthy exposure of any camera to those temperatures at all costs. i don't expect a brief exposure, such as stepping out of a car to snap a shot then getting back in, would cause any problems, but spending anything more than a few minutes out in those temperatures would not be good for your FZ30.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:05 PM   #3

A potential benefit... less noise at iso200 and iso400. (Haven't you noticed the camera produces more noise after a few minutes versus when you first turn it on? I figure it is the internal heat.)

One thing you should do is carry a large ziplock type plastic bag with you. After the camera gets cold and before you bring it indoors place the camera in the bag, squeeze most of the excess air out, zip it and then bring it inside. Let the camera warm up to room temperature in the bag.

I've taken photos at -32°C and colder but as stated, out of the car... take photo... run back to car. Never an extended exposure to the cold. Frankly, at those temperatures, I'm more worried about my fingers, ears and nose than the camera.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
A potential benefit... less noise at iso200 and iso400. (Haven't you noticed the camera produces more noise after a few minutes versus when you first turn it on? I figure it is the internal heat.)

One thing you should do is carry a large ziplock type plastic bag with you. After the camera gets cold and before you bring it indoors place the camera in the bag, squeeze most of the excess air out, zip it and then bring it inside. Let the camera warm up to room temperature in the bag.

I've taken photos at -32°C and colder but as stated, out of the car... take photo... run back to car. Never an extended exposure to the cold. Frankly, at those temperatures, I'm more worried about my fingers, ears and nose than the camera.

yeah, there's less heat buildup in the sensor, perhaps, but the LCD will likely become VERY sluggish, and may go dark altogether at those temps. i'd certainly not consider the chance of reduced noise to offset the risk of performance degradation in other areas. the good news is, if electronic components degrade or stop working due to low temperatures, the problem is seldom permanent (unlike exposure to extreme high temps, which can cause permanent damage to internal circuitry).most electronic components will start working again once the temperature rises back into their normal operating envelope.

i agree with NewsyL, though... to me, exposed skin is more at immediate risk. i'll shoot that photo through the car window if possible, rather than get out and freeze my garbanzos off at -30 C!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

You know -30C is not bad...wind is worst.... I like that wether - I'm alone outside, but people from carslooks for me "different" when I'm taking phots .

I'm trying to hold it under my coat . Take photo and... Hopefully Fz30 has amaizing start time 0.0000001 s and auto facus 0.00001 and my fingers are still "worm" .

I thing this is the best way.

Thanks for advice about bag! This is good idea to protecyt camere from water from air.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:31 PM   #6

One of the reasons I now own a FZ30 was because my Sony took a dislike to below freezing temps, ones not even close to -30 C. It used to be fine inour cold, but I guess a couple of winters have taken their toll on it. It stillworks fine when it's above 40 F, so I may sell it to a co-worker who doesn't like the cold. However, I have no plans not to take the Panasonic with me when I go snowshoeing etc. If I get the same 4 years of excellent service from it that I got from the Sony, I'll be happy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:52 PM   #7

I live in Alaska and have had my FZ30 outdoors at temperatures of about 20F for periods of 10 - 15 minutes (taking pictures of the moon and Mars) without any problem of any kind.*My daughter just encountered the cold temperature limits of her FZ20:* If it is kept below 32F for more than 2 hours, the camera will not take pictures.* The lens will extend when turned on but not zoom and the 4-way button will not do anything and the shutter button won't take the picture.* You can see the view in the LCD buts thats it. The battery charge indicates near empty (it had been 2/3's charged).* *I brought the FZ20 into a 70F room (in a large zip lock baggie to keep condensation from accumulating) and within one or two minutes it came back to life and the battery rebounded.* *I have a second FZ20 that I am performing the exact same experiment with at this moment.* If I find anything different from the first FZ20, I will post the findings.*I'll try the same with the FZ30 later tonight, leaving it in cold for 2 hours.* I'll let you know what happens.*
Frumious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:57 AM   #8

The verdict on the second FZ20 is that it was NOT affected by the cold.* It worked perfectly after two hours at 27F. * *I put the first FZ20 in the cold again for two hours with a freshly charged battery.* It would not work - same as before.* *I took the cold battery out, warmed it, put it back in the cold camera - still would not function.* *This leads me to believe that it was NOT a battery issue, but that the electronics on the first FZ20 are more temperature sensitive than the second. * *This first FZ20 did bounce back to full life one minute after coming back into a warm room (again, in a ziplock bag).I'll wait for another cold night to try this experiment with the FZ30.
Frumious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:25 AM   #9

Thanks for test Frumious! Alaska nice place . Worm .
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:09 PM   #10

Out of curiosity, are the two FZ20s that you are testing the same age, or is one newer than the other? The reason I ask is that my Sony didn't have any problems with temps down in the teens F until this year. I was thinking that the sensitivity to the cold might be a cumulative or age thing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote