Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:03 PM   #1

Hello folks

I'm currently experimenting with the Sunpak 383 attached to my FZ30, before I use the combination to 'shoot' my grandchildren this Christmas. I was a bit perturbed about the amount of red-eye I was getting with the built-in flash - whether or not the camera was set with the red-eye reduction option. I was using the red Auto mode setting, and I've had to do quite a bit of red-eye removal on the computer.

Now with the 383 attached to the camera via either the hot shoe directly, or via the sync lead supplied connected to an adapter sitting in the hot shoe, what I find is this. With camera and flash turned on, and the camera set to Auto Mode, pressing the Menu button brings up the EX.FLASH BURST option in the Recording menu - but NOT the EXT.FLASH option itself, as the manual says on page 97. So I can't select PRESET or MANUAL. However, the external flash icon appears all right in the EVF, and the flash functions correctly.

Am I right in thinking that the reason no EXT.FLASH > PRESET/MANUAL item appears on the main Menu is that this would only apply if I were using the Panasonic flash unit which the manual may be assuming I have?

If anyone is using this combination, I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

That has nothing to do with it not being a panasonic flash ...it is just one of the options you do not have in that Red A mode.....put the camera in P and you will have the option.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:29 AM   #3

Thanks for replying so quickly. You're quite right.

Having re-read the manual again on this point, the manual doesn't this clear. On p42 it says that in auto mode EXT.FLASH / PRESET is "fixed at the time of purchase to prevent mistakes being made when using the camera". Yet it doesn't show in the Menu setting, a point not made on p97.

I thought someone would know. Cheers, and, as it's not too late, a Happy Christmas to everyone on this forum.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 5:36 AM   #4

Peter_with_digicam wrote:
Quote:
Hello folks

I'm currently experimenting with the Sunpak 383 attached to my FZ30, before I use the combination to 'shoot' my grandchildren this Christmas. I was a bit perturbed about the amount of red-eye I was getting with the built-in flash - whether or not the camera was set with the red-eye reduction option. I was using the red Auto mode setting, and I've had to do quite a bit of red-eye removal on the computer.

Now with the 383 attached to the camera via either the hot shoe directly, or via the sync lead supplied connected to an adapter sitting in the hot shoe, what I find is this. With camera and flash turned on, and the camera set to Auto Mode, pressing the Menu button brings up the EX.FLASH BURST option in the Recording menu - but NOT the EXT.FLASH option itself, as the manual says on page 97. So I can't select PRESET or MANUAL. However, the external flash icon appears all right in the EVF, and the flash functions correctly.

Am I right in thinking that the reason no EXT.FLASH > PRESET/MANUAL item appears on the main Menu is that this would only apply if I were using the Panasonic flash unit which the manual may be assuming I have?

If anyone is using this combination, I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.
You should have fewer incidences of red eye because the flash is higher off the camera changing the angle of Retina deflection. The younger the subject the faster Iris reaction time, the more chance for the red eye pulse to fail.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:59 AM   #5

I gather that the built-in flash in Red-eye mode is fired twice. One of my Pentax film cameras does that and as you view through the finder you are aware that it has gone off twice. There is a noticeable gap between the two flashes.

With my FZ30, I'm not aware of two flashes. I asked my wife if she noticed two flashes with the camera set to "AUTO/Red-eye reduction". She said she didn't. As I said before, with the built-in flash and using the Auto mode, I didn't see any difference in the shots taken with or without red-eye reduction.

This is the main reason I'm trying out the Sunpak instead. Your point about younger subjects, LoveLife, is an interesting one. Maybe I should ask my grandkids whether they see the double flashes that neither my wife nor I seem to be able to see!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:30 PM   #6

Hi folks

Re external flash for Panasonic FZ30. From what I've read am I correct in assuming A Sunpack 383 f/gun will operate exactly as specified in the FZ30 manual? Is there a higher power Sunpak that will also suit - I have some Lumiquest reflectors that used to work well with but do lose a couple of stops in use (sort of bounce effect)

I believe the Sunpack 383 is supplied with a pc connection - hopefully this would make it useable with my Minota A1 ( using a flash bar, as the camera flash mount is dedicated)

Any infomation would be gratefully received - regard from an ancient ! Dave:?
dave.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:02 PM   #7

I really think the flash fires twice without the red eye reduction turned on ( which is why an old slave flash will not work with a new digital camera)...and 3 times with red eye on ,but I can not see it either.

And while I agree with what lovelife said...the main thing that causes redeye is the angle between fromthe lens to the subject and back to the flash, the smaller the angle the more chance of redeye......., and the more you zoom the smaller that angle becomes.....zoom out to 1X and move closer and the redeye should improve a lot.

and the 383 should work on the A1 as long as it has the ISO hotshoe and not the little xi minolta shoe...I do not think the dedicated part hurts anything as long as it fits. I think.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:54 PM   #8

Thanks genece. Further reading here seems to confirm that setting the FZ30 to 'PRESET' flash mode in the menu (this would seem the most useful 'auto' setting for general purposes) sets the camera up to F4 x 100iso. This I assume equates to the power o/put of the Panasonic DMW-FL28 gun.

I haven't yet purchased a Sunpak 383 (dealer out of stock) but assuming it's a little more powerful, can it be set-up to use the Panasonic settings on Preset ie. F4 x 100 iso ?

It's a long time gap between my 'film' days and into digital, so perhaps you'll bear with this individual in his dotage!!!! My last encounters with flash usage were with dedicated Nikon/Canon and brain cells have sadly depleted in th interim!!!

The Minolta A1 has their dedicated shoe unlike the normal iso - but has a pc socket -so I assume that I would HAVE to set camera to manual and use a bracket (which I have) although it's unlikely as the A1 is relegated to a 'standbye'

One last question! Are there other more powerful f/guns available that would mate with the Panasonic - I have some old lumiquest gear that give good results in portraits but it decreases output up to a couple of stops - similar to 'bounce'
dave.l is offline   Reply With Quote