Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:31 PM   #1

I had been using a genuine Panasonic battery with my FZ1 for about a year. It worked fine during a prolonged photoshoot in mid-September (aged 11 months). Family crisis precluded any further photographic efforts for the following six weeks. (The battery was stored in the camera, cool room temperature, fully charged, I thought.) Now the battery won't hold a charge for more than an hour, though, though I have tried recharging it three separate times since this problem began.

Does anyone know why this might have happened, and, more importantly,how to fix it?

Hopefully yours,

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2

Try letting it charge for 24 hours and see if that brings it back. If not then you may need to replace it. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:22 AM   #3

You can try several times with a charge - discharge cycles. (To discharge the battery you must set the camera on while in play mode).

Perhaps this will help to recover the battery.

"Rechargeable batteries when new or that has been stored for a period of time must be reenergized to achieve peak performance. Full rated capacity will be attained after 4 - 6 charge and discharge cycles.... Fully charge battery every 2-3 months."

SirGlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:43 AM   #4

Might be something on this site.... http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Lithiums have a typical lifespan of 2 to 3 years after date of manufacture regardless of number of (minimum) cycles they have been through.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

SirGlad wrote:
Quote:
You can try several times with a charge - discharge cycles. (To discharge the battery you must set the camera on while in play mode).

Perhaps this will help to recover the battery.

"Rechargeable batteries when new or that has been stored for a period of time must be reenergized to achieve peak performance. Full rated capacity will be attained after 4 - 6 charge and discharge cycles.... Fully charge battery every 2-3 months."

What does it mean, to "set the camera on whilein play mode"?

I've only discharged-charged the battery three times, so I will continue to try!

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Jane
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:24 AM   #6

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Try letting it charge for 24 hours and see if that brings it back. If not then you may need to replace it. Jim

Jim,

Thank you for this straight-forward suggestion! I am going to plug in the charger right now!!!

Jane
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:39 AM   #7

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
Might be something on this site.... http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Lithiums have a typical lifespan of 2 to 3 years after date of manufacture regardless of number of (minimum) cycles they have been through.

Thanks for this. I had actually gone there before posting to Steve's site, but was rather daunted by the amount of information available! Will go back now, in my morning freshness!

JW
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8

Is there any danger in keeping the battery (and SD card, for that matter) in the camera during storage? (I'm talking here about relatively short term storage between uses, but would also be interested to know if this is safe for longer term storage, as well.

Thanks guys!

Jane