Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:18 AM   #1

I got my DCR-5000 WA lens last night for my FZ30. I love the pictures so far! a fair amount of barrel distortion, but that's what i wanted to go for, so i am quite happy. that being said, the camera couldn't focus in auto, i had to set to manual focus to get a good focus. I tried the menu setting to both with and without WA lens, and had the same result. It also doesn't really even hunt through when trying to auto focus, its just blurry. i'm willing to live with it either way, but it'd be nice to know why the camera's auto focus system can't work with it...maybe its because its a 0.5X converter, more than most WA converters that i've seen. Thoughts are appreciated!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:54 AM   #2

Just a guess but maybe try various focus types --spot --- 3 area --and such--

Also Raynox says that some OLY cameras need to use macro mode with the lens..maybe try that.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3

i tried the focus in spot and single area high focus, i'll give the others a try, and macro too; macro kinda makes sense, as if the camera views the lens as a closeup object rather than an additional lens. thanks for the input!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

i tried it out in macro; voila! it works! thanks for the great advice!!!!!!!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:06 AM   #5

Hi,

just two things: first (maybe not that important anymore) you can set the focus mode in the menu to wide angle converter. I need to do that for my raynox dcr 0.720 as well. But then,I guess macro will be quicker.

Second: If you have trouble with barrel distortion, you should try the pano tools software. It is a free plugin for Photoshop, but also available as a stand alone version (ptlens). You can correct really large amounts of distortion without loosing image quality and once you foun the correct settings it is also quite quick. I would post a sample but I'm not at home in the moment. Until then -

here is a proper explanation how to work with the plugin. It really woks very well.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Imag...rection_01.htm

Good Luck

Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:11 AM   #6

Theintructions for the dcr5000indicatethat the camera should be in macro mode, though it seems to work equally well in any mode with the fz5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:03 PM   #7

ivan, i did try the WA converter setting in the menu, and it still did not focus correctly, the macro setting works perfectly though, so i will stick with that...guess i should've read the manual! i guess i thought, what could the manual say? rightie tightie, leftie loosie? its just a lens! now i know better. :-)