Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:04 PM   #11

Thanks Jim.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:49 PM   #12

You can spot the red dot on a moving airplane or a bird in flight?
Maybe I am the only one confused here...how do you do that? If you are not looking thru the (12x magnified) EVF or LCD, how do you see the red dot?
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:38 AM   #13

the red dot is generatedby a light-emitting diodeinside the sight, and is reflected onto the sight glass, much like a "heads-up" display ina fighter aircraft.it does not project a dot on the target, and is not visible to anyone but the user. with this set-up, you look through the sight, not the EVF/LCD, so you would have to set the focus, etc., using the LCD or EVF, then track your subject with the sight as you take the picture(s).
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:48 AM   #14

here's one i'm considering. it's a bit more expensive than the one Tiger got ($60 vs $30), but i like the open-frame design. it's easier to use with both eyes open, and you don't feel so much like you're looking through a tube. it's also smaller and lighter... if anyone's interested, i can send you a link to a place that sells these.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:21 AM   #15

I got the exact same setup as Jim since yesterday. Seems to work well from the few tests I have done. I got the BSA RD30 on ebay for $19.95, new, and the hotshoe adapter for the same price of $21 from photosolve. They were on backorder until a few days ago, so Jim and I probably received one from the same shipment.

I have a question regarding the windage and elevation alignment knobs. I don't see that they make any difference in moving the dot around. Does one use them with a camera or are they only there for use with guns? What's your experience with that, Jim?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:47 AM   #16

the dot doesn't appear to move within the sight, but it does move in relation to the target and the camera. if you have the camera locked in position, and you look atwhere thefocus reticle on the camera is aimed, and then turn the knobs to line up the dot with that spot, you'll be close enough. when sighting in a gun, you simply adjust the sight (without moving the gun) till the dot falls on the spot where the bullets hit. with a camera,you simply move the dot until it's located on the samespot on your "target" asthe camera'sfocusing reticle.

also remember, in this application, accuracy isn't as critical. the dot can be far enough "off target" to cause a clean miss with a rifle, but it'll still be close enough to keep your subject in the frame when you snap the photo. after all, all you need it to do is let you keep the subject in the frame as you track with it. the dot is simply a reference point for more precise aiming; it'd probably work almost as well if you didn't have the dot at all... simply keeping the subject centered in the glass of the sight would probably keep you close enough, since the sight is at least roughly aligned with the axis of the camera lens by the mount.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 3:04 AM   #17

Thanks Rocky. I won't be worrying about those knobs. The angle from which I view through the sight seems to play a bigger role in how to line up the red dot with the target anyway.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:10 PM   #18

Thanks for the information Jim. Your experience got me off the fence and I ordered a 40mm, Swatforce, aluminum, 6.8oz. this morning. Found it new on ebay for $40.00 + freight. Merry Christmas. Don
Attached Images

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:26 PM   #19

Squirl, If you get that "open" unit let me know what you think about it. I looked at it but thought it might not be as accurate due to how you positioned your head or eye, as due to it being open you could be looking thru it at an angle, where that wouldn't be the case when you have to look thru the tube. Does that make sense? Either way as you stated in your post, just looking thru the glass will get you close enough. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:28 PM   #20

Don, Did that unit come with a hot shoe mount? If not you'll need that Xtend-a-sight mount. Looks like you got a swinging deal. I didn't try Ebay ! Hope you like it as much as I like this one. Let me know what you think about it. Merry Christmas to you also! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote