Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:31 PM   #21

Trooplewis, Squirl's excellent explanation of how this unit works is right on! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:41 PM   #22

Rduve, Thanks for making me sorry I didn't check Ebay ! :-) Yes it sounds like we did receive our mount from that same back order! Regarding your question on the adjustment knobs what Squirl told you is true, however I wanted to see if I could get the dot dead center so I mounted the camera on a sturdy tripod, set the camera to spot focus and set the foucus + on a target approximately 50 yds away. I then used the the two alignment controls on the sight to adjust the dot to the same spot on the target and that was it. It now seems very accurate, where before I was shooting high flying aircraft and not getting it centered in the frame, now every shot is centered ! So I guess it depends how accurate you want it. It doesn't take but a few minutes to sight it in perfectly. I should also mention that when I sighted my unit in I used full 12x zoom. Jim
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:56 PM   #23

Squirl;
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I was thinking of the gunsite laser dots that project onto the target...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:36 PM   #24

Jim, I did need to order the reversable mount $15.00 for my FZ15. I checked with Phil at Photosolve to make sure that was what I needed. Phil said I would probably have a little more trouble getting used to it but others are using it with success. I'm already using the Extend-A-Sight on sunny outdoor shots and it does help. Thanks again for the post.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:50 PM   #25

Your welcome Don, hope it works out good for you! Jim
Old Dec 25, 2005, 2:46 PM   #26

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Rocky. I won't be worrying about those knobs. The angle from which I view through the sight seems to play a bigger role in how to line up the red dot with the target anyway.
most red-dot sigths are designed so that the dot remains properly "on target" relative to the gun (or camera) regardless of whether you look through the sight "centered" or not. in other words, if you can see the dot, and it's over your target, you'll be okay, even if the dot appears to be off to one side because you're not looking into the tube straight.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 2:59 PM   #27

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Squirl, If you get that "open" unit let me know what you think about it. I looked at it but thought it might not be as accurate due to how you positioned your head or eye, as due to it being open you could be looking thru it at an angle, where that wouldn't be the case when you have to look thru the tube. Does that make sense? Either way as you stated in your post, just looking thru the glass will get you close enough. Jim
Jim, i have a very small open-frame red-dot sight mounted on a .22 pistol, and it works just wonderfully. as i explained in my previous post, the position of your head relative to the sight isn't that important, andyou don't have to keep the dot in the center of the glass. as long as you can see the dot, and it's positioned over your target, you'll be okay, even if it appears to be a bit off to one side in the sight. the big thing is having the dot aligned with the bore, or in this case, the lens axis.

the sight i have is the samedesign as the image below, but it's a different brand and is a tad smaller and lighter. i like the open-frame design better, because it's smaller and lighter, and interferes with my vision less, than the tube type sights, especially since it's not telescopic.

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 3:09 PM   #28

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Squirl;
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I was thinking of the gunsite laser dots that project onto the target...
Trooplewis, laser sights are a whole 'nother animal, and you do NOT want to put one onyour camera! for one thing, they superimpose a red spot on the target that would be visible in your picture, and for another, it's a serious crime to aim one at an airplane.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:27 PM   #29

Squirl, I see what you were talking about. I agree that it should work fine the way you explained it. Jim
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:01 PM   #30

Thanks, Jim and Rocky, I'll follow your tips in adjusting my red dot sight tomorrow when the sunlight is out again.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote