Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:47 PM   #11

We're on Kauai. Here's a picture I took of Mt. Haupu with my little Sony DSC-P71 (I'm not seeing anything :?so am going on faith here - thanks for the instructions BTW):

Attached Images

pualani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:49 PM   #12

COOL! It worked! Thanks Telecorder. Here's another one of Hanalei Valley (also with my Sony). Just ordered my Panasonic with a wide-angle converter lens and a 4-hour battery (even after reading the warnings about Prestige Camera hammering you for add-ons, I went for it).

Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:57 PM   #13

Here's a better one of Hanalei Valley:

Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:03 AM   #14

Way to go on posting! I'm jealous of your photogenic locale... I'm in the Mojave Desert at about 3,000' elevation northeast of Los Angeles by about 100 miles so I have to wait until spring for the wildflowers and trees to start leafing out again.

I'd really suggest considering adding a polarizer filter for giving more contrast to the blue skies and taking some of the reflections off of the water.

Looking forward to your future FZ5 photos of the environs.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:30 PM   #15

When you add a polarizer filter, is that only for exterior shots? I suppose it depends on what you're shooting. I'm sure there are better ones and worse ones. Any advice? And is the purpose of a polarizer filter to get rid of glare?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:38 PM   #16

OK, did a little (very little) research on polarized lenses, and get the point. Now I need to know which one to buy. Any advice?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:56 PM   #17

I tried posting earlier but had the server bomb when I tried to submit it...

Genece stated in another post:

I have both a linear and a circular polarizer both are Hoyas and my choice is the Linear its very close but I seem to see a more dramatic effect with the linear.

If it makes you feel better or if you plan on moving on to a DSLR get the circular.

The hoya linear is about 20 bucks at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

In another post: mtngal posted:

Ira Tiffen, of the Tiffen filter company, wrote an article describing different filters that is worth bookmarking:

http://www.tiffen.com/camera_filters...zing%20Filters

In it, he explains the difference between circular and linear polarizers thus:

"Certain camera optical systems employ internal surfaces that themselves polarize light. Using a standard (linear) polarizer will cause the light to be further absorbed by the internal optics, depending on the relative orientation. A Circular Polarizer is a linear one to which has been added,on the side facing the camera, a quarter wave "retarder." This "corkscrews" the plane of polarization, effectively depolarizing it, eliminating the problem. The Circular Polarizer otherwise functions in the same manner."
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:26 PM   #18

Are you sure you didn't live in Hawaii in a previous life??? You sure have a lot of Aloha! Thanks for all your help.

Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:17 PM   #19

pualani-

Da Nada...:-)

'Tis my naturehaving a somewhat pedantic personality. Being a newbie myself, I know how much insight and knowledge that I've gained from others so its only good karma to reciprocate with others... Then again, my week in Maui did feel like I was coming home and then, after leaving, began tofeel somewhat'homesick'. Of course, that may have been a resurgence of calcium deposits in my surf knots from my old surfing days eons ago...:G