Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:16 PM   #1

After weeks of research, I think I've finally decided to buy the Panasonic FZ5, as a huge upgrade from my Sony DSC-71. One of my complaints about the little Sony was that you had to hit the center of the 4-way controller in order to select something. You had to hit it just right, and often didn't - very frustrating! I see that the FZ5 has a 4-way controller too. Does anyone know if you have to hit the center of the button to select what you're toggling through with the 4 arrows? I noticed that some manufacturers have an actual button in the middle (including Sony now). Thanks in advance for your replies!
pualani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:56 PM   #2

pualani wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if you have to hit the center of the button to select what you're toggling through with the 4 arrows?
pualani-

I've had my FZ5 for a month now and am now atover 800 photos. In response to your question about the center 4-way button- (and all of the buttons on the FZ5 - They're fairly easy to learn by feel after awhile.)

And, no, there is no center depress position. When you get your FZ5, you'll find the center depress layout very logical and easy to use. The up/down/left/right movements are normally used to set the timer, flash, review photosor change the +/- values of the auto bracket/flash/exposure settings. When you're in the Menu mode or adjustable settings, the 4-way acts as your arrow buttons by way of color coding- very intuitive.

I'm very satisfied with my FZ5 thus far and am just now learning how powerful of a digi it really is.

By the by, I just posted an old link about Auto Focusing that you will want to read. It'll go a long way to helping understand how to increase your shots that are in good focus...

Enjoy!:-)

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:28 PM   #3

Aloha Telecorder - Thanks for your fast reply, and the kudos for the FZ5! I do have another question regarding a wide-angle conversion lens. I know basically nothing about quality of add-on lenses, but need something for taking interior shots of houses. Do you have any experience or advice? Many thanks, pualani.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:51 PM   #4

pualani wrote:
Quote:
Aloha Telecorder - Thanks for your fast reply, and the kudos for the FZ5! I do have another question regarding a wide-angle conversion lens. I know basically nothing about quality of add-on lenses, but need something for taking interior shots of houses. Do you have any experience or advice? Many thanks, pualani.
Aha, I should have known from the name... Aloha yourself...

As a fellow newbie to the FZ5, I can't comment with any degree of authority or experience. The best thing to do is to use the search feature for this forum. I just did one for Wide Angle Lens and this came back for your follow up reading...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/s...mp;forum_id=23

Genece and others can probably give some good insights and guidance on this specific question for you...

The accessories that I've gone with, thus far are a 55mm Hoya HMC Super UV(O) filter for lens protection (and to give a good metal thread for other 55mm filters/attachments), a set of HOYA closeup diopterlenses, a Hoya polarizing filter(this would be great for your sunny location with lots of water!) and a TCON17 telephoto lens to add 1.7X power to the native 12X zoom.

As with any good lens, do the research, get opinions from the forum members and get a quality piece of glass from a reputable vendor- you won't go wrong.

Be aware that the stock plastic adapter that comes with the FZ5 has a small, ~1mm of no threads at the beginning of the adapter that will make shallow threaded filters/lens hard to attach. This is where the threaded filter comes in handy and/or you can sand the excess non-threaded plastic away to get a better fit. Read the thread at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16151436

And check out my posting w/photo linkson this issue at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Welcome to the family and post your photos so we can all be jealous of your location and yearn to visit again!

Mahalo!
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5

Hey Telecorder - Thanks again for the info, links, etc. It makes me feel better to know there's someone out there to answer questions. We don't have anyone on this little rock in the middle of the Pacific to answer questions! I'd send you a picture of our house here on Kauai, but I don't know how to insert a pix. :?

With warm aloha, pualani
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:58 PM   #6

pualani wrote:
Quote:
Hey Telecorder - Thanks again for the info, links, etc. It makes me feel better to know there's someone out there to answer questions. We don't have anyone on this little rock in the middle of the Pacific to answer questions! I'd send you a picture of our house here on Kauai, but I don't know how to insert a pix. :?

With warm aloha, pualani
This is one of the better forums with good, experienced members... almost a family, it seems. It was interesting to read all of the Christmas messages between some. I almost posted the closing from the Walton's Family... Good Night, John-Boy

As to posting links, cut and paste the entire URL into your message; it'll be an active link. For photos, resize the photo to about 800 x 600 and click on the browse button below where you're typing in your message/reply. Then navigate to the folder where the saved file is located and click on it. When you hit send, your PC will upload the linked photo into the message. For multiple photos, I usually just send a reply immediately after the first.

Check out the photos I just posted that I just took of a candle flame to see what I mean...

Which island are you on? I've only been once for a week to Maui and I'm long overdue for another trip... especially now that I have a great camera with a great 12X telephoto lens for zooming in on those great photo ops!:G
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7

Telecorder - Why did you choose the FZ5 over the FZ20? Just curious, since the FZ20 has a manual focus as well as auto. Your comments on the FZ5 focusing problems has me thinking . . .
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:22 PM   #8

Mainly price... I was afraid my wife would Being a newbie to digitals, I went with what everyone seemed to agree was the most bang for the buck (~$350).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The focusing issues that I've mentioned have more to do with my lack of experience with cameras, framingand how auto focusing works. (read the article that I posted on a pastposting about focusing)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Having a month with my FZ5, I'm quite happy with my purchase but it is a learning curve, nonetheless. The added $ for manual focus and other FZ20/FZ30features were looked at but I figured that I'd learn on the FZ5 first and, as I progressed with its auto features, I'd be better prepared to understand and use the additional features of the FZ20/FZ30 down the road (and, hopefully, at a better price).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If I were to make a recommendation, and if the budget is there, the FZ20 or even the FZ30 are a step up from the FZ5 and are worth the extra $. Especially if one is anticipating putting in the hours to develop the experience and patience to acquire the knowledge of taking great photos. Someone posted recently that a great photo is taken by the photographer, not the camera... (Be aware, though, the FZ cameras are addictive; especially when you get into PP (Post Processing - tweaking the image as though it were a piece of film) and family can sometimes suffer)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Having said all of that, the bottom line for me was the FZ5 had the features and ease of auto everything that I was looking for. Give me 6-12 months and I'll probably be into the FZ30 or FZ40...and ...Divorced?:roll:
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:24 AM   #9

The 4-way controller button is extremely easy to use without trying to be "accurate" in handling it. As mentioned above, there is no center button (menu button above it substitutes for the center button).

I use the controller constantly for review and EV compensation, as well as timer and flash control. Simple and easy to utilize...

Panasonic's system is pretty much the same on all their Lumix's; once you figure out one, it's pretty simple, only the menu items change...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:29 AM   #10

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. I don't have time to devote to perfecting my photography skills right now, but I do want to be able to take decent pix considering I'm living on one of the most beautiful islands in the world. I think the FZ5 is going to be the perfect choice for me. (Lovedthe little hammer guys Telecorder!)