Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1

Having my FZ5 for a few weeks, I've been somewhat frustrated with finding my photos somewhat out of focus. Doing a search, I came across the following post that had an excellent link to what goes into a digi focus process that would be a good read for those new to digital cameras w/auto focus features...

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/focusing/index.htm info pertains to all fz
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:01 PM   #2

There is some good stuff there...

While I do not have a FZ5 why not try a couple settings I like on the FZ30

1 Area fast focus and turn off continuous autofocus... see if either works for you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:10 PM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
There is some good stuff there...

1 Area fast focus and turn off continuous autofocus... see if either works for you.
Gene-

Yes, I'm glad that I did a search and came across the old posting with the URL. It helped me understand why I may be having an issue with good focusing. I've been trying spot-H center focusing w/ AF Continuous off but have found that my framing attempts must be off by just enough that the subjects aren't where they need to be to achieve critical focus.

After reading the paper, I went back and realized a lot of my photos may have had the intended subject just outside of the spot-H and, therefore, weren't evaluated during the focusing. I'm going to try now with the 3 spot-H to see if that makes any difference. Also, as Tiger pointed out, the RDS/Daisy may be what I need to ensure the target subject (especially those on the fly) is within the focus bracketed area!

By the by, many Kudos for your excellent contributions to the forum! Its members/contributors such as yourself, Tiger et althat make owning/sharing a Pany really enjoyable!:-)

Dave
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:29 PM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
Gene:

As an example, the following is a recent photo taken w/ the FZ5+UV(O)+TCON17, single spot-H, half-depressand AF off. Is the lackof sharp focus more due to being handheld (IS2), 1/400 too slow to stop the plane's movement, TCON17 issueor...? The photo indicates it was in center of full frame, only Noise Image processing and cropped to 800 x 600; No PP. EXIF:

Field Name: Field Value
Maker: Panasonic
Model: DMC-FZ5
Exif Version: 0220
Shot Time: 2005:12:23 01:12:05
Digitize Time: 2005:12:23 01:12:05
Compress Rate: 4.0 bits/pixel
Exposure Time: 1/400 Second
F Number: 4.5
Minimum F Number:
Focal Length: 38.30 mm
X Resolution:
Y Resolution:
ISO Speed Rate: ISO80
Flash: No Flash
Light Source: Auto
Exposure Program: Normal
Subject Area:
Custom Rendered: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto Exposure
White Balance: Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio:
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: None
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Device Setting Description:
Subject Distance Range:

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5

I do not think that has much to do with DOF or the shutter speed but I have heard John Reed say how important it is to pan along with the bird (plane in your case) as you snap the photo.

But really a little Unsharp mask helps that photo a good bit as would have full zoom, do not misunderstand me I realize the difficulty of full zoom and a plane.

That is a great situation for a red dot sight and burst mode.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:05 PM   #6

Panning = RDS! On some of my photos at long zoom, I did try to use burst mode with the plane entering the focal point spot-H area anticipating the camera will focus better. That's the beauty of a fast digi and a 1GB SD card... fast, easy and cheap way to get experience!:-)

As to unsharp mask, I did spend the $ to get Noise Image and am waiting for Elements 3 to come down in price for getting more into PP. Like most newbies, I'm frustrated that I'm not inmmediatelyup to the level of those 'veterns' out there posting photos such as yourself!
Old May 11, 2006, 5:09 PM   #7

Happened to see a previous post of mine about a good link that Fred had posted so I thought that I'd bump it up for all of the new members as it has some good info about Auto Focsing for the FZ family...