Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:10 AM   #31

I don't think sunsets are something where a polarizer would be the correct tool. More landscapes on a sunny day where relection is bouncing off. It adds saturation to and color where otherwise you'd have haze. But I don't know if there would be any benefit in sunsets, linear or circular.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:37 AM   #32

you're right, Rainer... polarizers don't do anything at all for sunsets. they work best when the light is either coming from, or being reflected from, an angle of 60-90 degrees to either side. shooting directly toward a light source (e.g. a sunset), there's no polarized light for them to work with. plus, the sky is usually dark enough that the effect of the filter won't be noticeable. they're at their best on bright, sunny days, with the sun to one side or the other. they don't work well shooting with the sun at your back, and directly into the sun all they do is act like a neutral density filter... and usually produce more lens flare.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:52 AM   #33

I am slowly learning...

Here is a typical photo of mine. I see lots and lots of blue. A friend recommended, along with using a polarizing filter, that I also attempt to adjust the white balance of my camera. What does this mean, and should I attempt it?

Attached Images

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:59 AM   #34

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
you're right, Rainer... polarizers don't do anything at all for sunsets. they work best when the light is either coming from, or being reflected from, an angle of 60-90 degrees to either side. shooting directly toward a light source (e.g. a sunset), there's no polarized light for them to work with. plus, the sky is usually dark enough that the effect of the filter won't be noticeable. they're at their best on bright, sunny days, with the sun to one side or the other. they don't work well shooting with the sun at your back, and directly into the sun all they do is act like a neutral density filter... and usually produce more lens flare.

Sorry, yeah bad example. I took all sorts of photo's with it but It was late afternoon so I might try again on the weekend at 10:30 in the morning or something.

Regardless, I just want to my local camera shop and was told that I'd have difficulty obtaining a Linier PL as they're not common these days?
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:17 PM   #35

I just got an FZ30 for XMAS (and I'm loving it) and bought a HOYA circular polarizing filter only because thatis whatI used to use on my old 35mm SLR.I'm not familar with the effects of a linear polarizing filterbut I would love to seesome examples.I thought I wouldput these pictures out there as comparison. One picture was shot indoorsof a picture on the wall and the other is a shot of a pond.
Attached Images

ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:19 PM   #36

This is the shot with the filter.
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:23 PM   #37

File size is too large. Ill reduce and then post.

OK, I think I have it now. Pond no filter.
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:20 PM   #38

Pond with filter.
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:50 AM   #39

ttkbear, looks to me that your circular polarizer works just fine. No need to spend extra money on a linear one.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:51 AM   #40

Ken Rogers wrote:
Quote:
I am slowly learning...

Here is a typical photo of mine. I see lots and lots of blue. A friend recommended, along with using a polarizing filter, that I also attempt to adjust the white balance of my camera. What does this mean, and should I attempt it?

Yes, this is a perfect setup to use a polarizer to cut through the haze and reflections and I agree that your white balance setting is too heavily on the blue side. But then again, that might be accurate in this setting...