Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:16 PM   #1

I shot some belated autumn leaves in my backyard against a blue sky, and then took the same shots with a polarizer lens on my FZ30.Interesting effects. Number 1 and 2 are without, 3 and 4 with the polarizer:

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:17 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:17 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:31 PM   #5

rduve:

Great unanticipated results on using a polorizer. Curious, though, where was the sun relative to the camera/subject?
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:49 PM   #6

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
rduve:

Great unanticipated results on using a polorizer. Curious, though, where was the sun relative to the camera/subject?

The shots were taken pretty much straight up with the sun being approximately aty a 45 degree angle. I think it wsa about 2 pm.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:59 PM   #7

interesting effects. the polarizer didn't darken the sky as much as i'd expect. judging from the shadows in the pictures, it looks like the sun was in front and a bit to the left for #1 & 3; the leaves appear almost backlit. the other shots, 2 & 4, the sun angle looks lower and more to the left...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:06 AM   #8

Hi Rainer...................

These are Very Nice Pics......

I have 2 circular polarizing filters and they are not all that effective on my FZ30 / or / FZ1 tried them.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:20 AM   #9

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
interesting effects. the polarizer didn't darken the sky as much as i'd expect. judging from the shadows in the pictures, it looks like the sun was in front and a bit to the left for #1 & 3; the leaves appear almost backlit. the other shots, 2 & 4, the sun angle looks lower and more to the left...

As far as I recall the influx of light was quite similar with me shooting straight up and having the sun to the left at about a 45 degree angle, but I might have turned the camera vertically. So I am not sure. In any case, when properly adjusting the filter, the sky suddenly turned darker and the leaves became deeply saturated and almost orange. Interesting effect which I had previously not experienced. This is a linear polarizer by the way, which works just fine, John.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:20 AM   #10

sounds like your polarizer is doing just what it should, Rainer. the added saturation and the deepening of the blue in the sky are typical of polarized images, as is increased color saturation and contrast. i have circular polarizer for my FZ20, and it seems to work fine. i don't believe there's much - if any - difference in the results between linear and circular polarizers, at least not on our FZ cameras...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote