Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:53 AM   #1

Hi to all
I am new to FZ and to this forum and I have the following problem. Before few days my brother bought a Pol Cir filter from Hama (# 72555) for the FZ5 (55mm) and when he attach it to the tube it can not stay on it if he shake the camera it just fall of. It is possible to take pictures but we must allays have in mind "not to shake" the camera. I have FZ20 and a Hama UV filter (72mm) and for it there is no such problem. Is the problem into the filter or into the tube of the FZ5? any help/ideas are wellcome

Sorry for my eng but I am from Bulgaria.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:24 AM   #2

The adapter tube on the FZ5 is a poor job in designing at best.....It needs to have a couple mm sanded off the end of the tube....Leave me see If I can find a link on how they do that.

Maybe this will explain a little better , if your only concern is for a filter the sanding will be enough.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...dapter+for+FZ5
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:54 AM   #3

10x a lot. I was hopping that the problem was into the filter but maybe the tube is designed "not so fine".

Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

That is correct the tube is a bad design.....it does not hurt to sand the tube as you just want to remove part of the tube that has no threads as that it the problem it prevents the filter from reaching the threads.

I imagine if you hunt around you could find a uv filter that would thread in the adapter and then perhaps you could thread the polarizer into that filter......I am not sure if that would cause vignetting but if Fred moore sees this thread he will know.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:38 PM   #5

The start of threads on the front of the adapter is recessed 1-2mm.That unthreaded plastic portion inteferes with a good connection with add-on lens. It's quite easy to remove it with fine grit sandpaper placed on a hard flat horizontal surface and rubbing the front of the adapter against it. The 55mm male threads on the polarizer will then seat securely. Many people keep a 55mm uv filter on at all times for lens protection and as a source of metal 55mm threads for other add-ons, the metal threads being preferable to the plastic for frequent on/off wear. In the case of a polarizer, since it is a two piece affair and is thicker,you may encounter vignetting by leaving the uv filter on.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:52 PM   #6

10x again

Because the FZ5 is new one (we bought it before few weeks) and it is very expensive (2 mounts payment in my country) for now I will stay alay from the "modifing" anything that is part of the package. But will try to get a second tube and will attach the UV filter to it "permanentrly". I was tinking of using some tape to secure the filter to the tube. What do you think about that - is it a good idea?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:58 PM   #7

Some uv filters have more male threads than others and can get a good 1.5 turns into the unmodified adapter. If you can find one of those, that might work okay. Nevertheless, there is good chance you will get vignetting placing the polarizer that far from the FZ5 lens. An extra FZ5 adapter is about $20US. I modified my FZ5 adapter using a Raynox rt5264p tube adapter. See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:40 PM   #8

I bought a 2nd adapter from Panasonic for $14 plus freight because I was concerned about not have ing a spare if I messed up the original one when sanding it. It was so easy to fix (sanding it down) and it worked so well that I ended up sanding both. It takes only 3 or 4 minutes and a piece of sandpaper to do it.

IT WORKS GREAT WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!!

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:26 PM   #9

The solution for FZ5 tube problem is here
Since I get some very nice responds I mus say that I found a solution for the FZ5 tube that does not involvs modiffing the tube.
I bought a step down ring 55-52 and step up ring from 52-55 mm from hama and with this small fix I can mount the filter withouth problems
the part number are:

Hama manifactire
#15552 (55-52 mm)
#15255 (52-55 mm)

once again sorry for my bad eng (I am from Bulgaria)

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:05 AM   #10

sunstorage wrote:
Quote:
I bought a step down ring 55-52 and step up ring from 52-55 mm from hama and with this small fix I can mount the filter withouth problems
The fz5 adapter is already too long by about 4mm and now you've added another 7-8mm with the double step rings. I would expect to get vignetting with the polarizerthat far from the fz5 lens. Better to break the glass out of a cheap 55mm filter and use that.