Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:18 PM   #11

rduve, yes, thatbuilding imagetruly looks sharp all over. The softness I've found can also be noticedon the very left side of the panorama above. Edge softness on a 5MP image is still there...Following this thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=hd6600I'm eager to read what shene will found out about image quality!!

Anyway, the 6600/FZ30 can produce picsthat are truly ok as this one. It's just that inlarge/fullsize, the details and sharpness are not there as you're used to.

(... I'm not able to compete withyour"After the rain" pics as you see here :G...)
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:27 PM   #12

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
I've had the dcr-5000 for a week now, and love it! picked it up on ebay for $50 shipped.it has noticeable barrel distortion, but not anywhere near something like a fisheye lens would. I love the indoor pictures it takes, gives you the feeling of being a distant observer, took some great Christmas pics! my only regret is that it hasn't been nice enough to go outside for some panoramic shots...we're going to duluth minnesota for new years, hopefully i'll get a chance there!
milrodpxpx, it would be nice to see some dcr5000 panoramic samples! What about softness as discussed here?? Inoticed you commented that problem on the thread linked above. I would be happy if it's just a focus problem but check the left side of the panorama here,that can't be a focus problem or... :?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:39 PM   #13

PeHa wrote:
Quote:
check the left side of the panorama here,that can't be a focus problem
The tcon17 zoomed shot of the ship also exhibits a softer left side IMO. Is there more vignetting on the left side at 1x with the tcon17 attached or is the vignetting pretty well centered? The fz30 may have an inherently weaker left side.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:17 PM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
PeHa wrote:
Quote:
The tcon17 zoomed shot of the ship also exhibits a softer left side IMO. Is there more vignetting on the left side at 1x with the tcon17 attached or is the vignetting pretty well centered? The fz30 may have an inherently weaker left side.

You're right :-), I've noticed that as well but didn't wanna bring it up as this is the only TCON17 pic where I've seen it. ThinkTHIS might be a focus thing as the tele pics generally get a more narrow DOF and the left side objects are a bit further away.

Anyway, I've never noticed that the left side of the clean Leica lens pictures had any softness, but you make me start wondering.... :O
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:13 AM   #15

PeHa wrote:
Quote:
rduve, yes, thatbuilding imagetruly looks sharp all over. The softness I've found can also be noticedon the very left side of the panorama above. Edge softness on a 5MP image is still there...Following this thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=hd6600I'm eager to read what shene will found out about image quality!!

Anyway, the 6600/FZ30 can produce picsthat are truly ok as this one. It's just that inlarge/fullsize, the details and sharpness are not there as you're used to.

(... I'm not able to compete withyour"After the rain" pics as you see here :G...)
I still see that softness in your picture as well, not as bad because there isn't as much detail there to be blurred. And yes, the softness is there in the zoom shot with the TCON as well. IMO that's not a focusing problem (if you notice the ship in the background is sharp, although even further away than the blurred booth on the left), but the same softening and stretching phenomenon. I don't think that has anything with increased resolution. I bet you it would not be any better in a 5 MP shot (the shots posted here are downsampled anyway). Strange and not good since my fz20/dCR6600 was perfect.

Thanks for the compliments on my pics, by the way.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:00 AM   #16

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
PeHa wrote:
Quote:

Ok, here's a tcon17 1x zoom image.Looking at it carefully, the centre isa little bit right and a little bit up. Not much but it's there... What does that tell, can it explain a weaker left side??
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:03 AM   #17

Checked Shene'slinkhttp://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-Infinity.html

I can't tellif it's a general teleconverter thing but at least theTCON17shows a weaker left than right sideIMO...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:23 AM   #18

This wouldn't seem to beoffset enough to explain the deterioration on the left. Speaking of CK's fz30 samples, I wonder why he hasn't posted some hd6600 shots. Some problem on the left side perhaps?Here is another fz30/tcon17 shot that looks suspect on the left. The first flamingo shot at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16039859
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:09 PM   #19

Right, I've nowchecked a number of converter shotstaken here.Not perfect but I would hesitate to say it's not within the normal degrade that can beexpected from addon-lenses. The standard of Shene's TCON17test shotis representative. Hope Shene will help putting some light on the HD6600as well in time!

Anyway,softness in wideangle edgesclearly bothers me most. A tele image might be croppedto get the essentials but cropping a wideangle image sort of spoils the whole idea!