Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:23 PM   #1

Hi :-)

Two pictures to demonstrate what add-on converters can do, here's a centre line crop forming a panorama of the Stockholm harbor area. Shot with Raynox HD6600-55meaning a 0.66 conversion down to 23mm.
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:25 PM   #2

i only see one pic, the pano of the harbor. did you have a shot with the teleconverter on to post as well?

the pano is impressive. is that a crop of one shot, or two frames stitched together?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

And can you spot that white old ship on the left hand side above? Here's a close-up, using FZ30 with TCON17, 1.7x converter making up to 1135mm in 3MP mode. Full screen (not cropped) shot from the same position as the panorama above.

The converters certainlyadds flexibilty to the 'zoom' range!! :-)
Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:34 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i only see one pic, the pano of the harbor. did you have a shot with the teleconverter on to post as well?

the pano is impressive. is that a crop of one shot, or two frames stitched together?
You were quicker than me, Squirl ;-)

Yes, it's a crop of one wideangle shot.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:50 PM   #5

a good example of the power of the Leica lens, especially when coupled with converters. i haven't gotten a wide-angle converter yet, but have the TCON-14B for my FZ20, and even though it's a bit less potent than the TCON-17 (1.5x vs 1.7), it still provides pretty impressive "reach". i'm contemplating a wide-angle converter for scenic shots; right now, though, my budget is battered from Christmas shopping, so a new WCON lens will have to wait...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6

PeHa, You certainly pulled in some very impressive detail in that zoom! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:19 AM   #7

Is the softening of the edges by the Raynox DCR6600 worse on the FZ30 than it was on the FZ20? I never noticed it when I had my FZ20, have not tried the DCR6600 much on my FZ30, but the sample shots I am seeing are pretty bad as far as edge softness is concerned.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:18 AM   #8

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Is the softening of the edges by the Raynox DCR6600 worse on the FZ30 than it was on the FZ20? I never noticed it when I had my FZ20, have not tried the DCR6600 much on my FZ30, but the sample shots I am seeing are pretty bad as far as edge softness is concerned.
Can't compare with FZ20 but, yes, there is a softening of edges with the HD66000-55 (exactly the same as DCR6600 except for the 55 mm attachment ring). This is shown inanother thread here.Actually,the wholeimage doesn't have the sharpness and details you're used to with the clean Leica lens. The images are acceptable up to a certain size, not sure yet exactlywhat,anything abovewill look weak when blowing it upfull size (at least, that's my experience).

My theory is that the 6600 optical specifications regarding resolution just can't handle 8MP well.If that's true,itexplainswhy you haven'tnoticedit with the FZ20 and its 5MP. Haven't seen such adegradewhen usingthe TCON17 but it might be because I most often use the3MP mode to get the maximum tele effect. 3MP alsomeans a crop, cutting possibly softedges.

Anyway, I'm still quite happy with the 6600beingaware of the restrictions here!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:23 PM   #9

PeHa wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Can't compare with FZ20 but, yes, there is a softening of edges with the HD66000-55 (exactly the same as DCR6600 except for the 55 mm attachment ring). This is shown inanother thread here.Actually,the wholeimage doesn't have the sharpness and details you're used to with the clean Leica lens. The images are acceptable up to a certain size, not sure yet exactlywhat,anything abovewill look weak when blowing it upfull size (at least, that's my experience).

My theory is that the 6600 optical specifications regarding resolution just can't handle 8MP well.If that's true,itexplainswhy you haven'tnoticedit with the FZ20 and its 5MP. Haven't seen such adegradewhen usingthe TCON17 but it might be because I most often use the3MP mode to get the maximum tele effect. 3MP alsomeans a crop, cutting possibly softedges.

Anyway, I'm still quite happy with the 6600beingaware of the restrictions here!

Here is a shot I took with my FZ20 and the Raynox DCR6600. No edge softness here. It would manifestin the street lights at the bottom since this shotis in portrait mode. Very sharp throughout. If the problem on the FZ30 lies in the increased MP, would I not be better off using just 5MP?
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:16 PM   #10

I've had the dcr-5000 for a week now, and love it! picked it up on ebay for $50 shipped.it has noticeable barrel distortion, but not anywhere near something like a fisheye lens would. I love the indoor pictures it takes, gives you the feeling of being a distant observer, took some great Christmas pics! my only regret is that it hasn't been nice enough to go outside for some panoramic shots...we're going to duluth minnesota for new years, hopefully i'll get a chance there!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote