Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:26 AM   #1

Apologies if this is a naive question, but I have recently bought an FZ30 (fabulous camera)and noticed some stuck pixels in the EVF.
I previously used a Fuji 2600Z, so this is my first EVF camera.
I have 1 stuck blue pixel on the LCD - OK, not nice but I accept 1 as par for the course for LCDs. But my EVF, when viewed in complete darkness, has about 10 "blue" pixels, which I would consider excessive.
Panasonic have told me to bring it in for inspection, but before I do, I would be grateful if those with experience of this could tell me whether 10 is too many, or is it usual for EVFs to suffer more defects than rear LCDs.
Obviously, they are practically invisible when shooting in daylight, but visible for night shots. And they bug me a bit now...
Thanks for any info or advice.
Intensecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:24 AM   #2

I just looked with the lens cap on and I do not see any but I do not know how hard you are looking for them....

Sometimes I think we look too hard to find a problem and then it bugs us...but then too if I saw them it would bug me.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. (I've learned a lot from your posts over the last few months of lurking.)
Please, I do *not* want to ruin anyone's day by getting them to spot these little defects if they haven't seen them already!
I absolutely agree about not going looking for problems, and I saw them purely by accident trying to focus for a night shot - but when you have seen them, you know what they are...like blue dust on a dark screen. In fact, I am trying to ignore them so that I *don't* have to send the camera in for service!
I guess that's why I am seeking reassurance.:G
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:59 AM   #4

Luckily my FZ30 has no pixels stuck on in either the EVF or the LCD.

My Epson 850Z does have a few blue pixels stuck on. They have been there for
more than 5 years, and only bothered me for the first few days. Every once in
a while I will see them, be surprized all over again, and then remember that
they have been there all the time.
gerald_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:01 PM   #5

Sorry about the double post but it said the server could not be found...must have found it.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6

I would not worry about spoiling anyones day ..you have a concern and if it were me I would want an answer also...in fact a while ago I did have a problem and voiced it here.

I am glad to say Panasonic took care of my problem and I hope they will do the same for you

Maybe if you google up "stuck pixels" I remember doing that when I bought a LCD monitor and if I remember correctly, which I am not guaranteeing. 3 stuck pixels is acceptable and the mfg would do nothing but over that, the monitor was replaced.

But I would look for current info and maybe call Panasonic or Email.

Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:17 PM   #7

Intensecure, If the camera is new and has that many "stuck" pixels I think I would opt to send it in even if you may be inconvienced for a couple weeks. Another option would be to contact the dealer where you purchased it and see if they will exchange it. I purchased a Canon G6 from Amazon last Feb and it quit after about 35 days and Amazon replaced it overnight, no questions asked! You paid good money for the camera and you have every right to expect it to be perfect or close to it, when you get it ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
I did search, and found so (comparatively) little information that it led me to believe that my problem is indeed excessive compared with the 2 or 3 stuck pixels that are usually found. And I have at least 12 - are they increasing or am I seeing more! :? Anyway, my wife can see them too, so it's not the xmas "spirit" at work.
I have been in touch with Panasonic service, and I will send it in for "verification". Inconvenient, but best to get it fixed whilst it is still new.
Appreciated all your input.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:25 AM   #9

I would not accept that in a new camera and get it replaced. My FZ30 has no bad pixels at all.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:13 AM   #10

Quick update - took the camera back to Panasonic Malaysia service centre today -with about 20 stuck pixels now - and (after having to be quite firm, because the stuck pixels are not easy to see in the EVF unless you are used to seeing them!) they have agreed to replace it.
So I get a new one in two days time.
Shame about the problem - but very happy with the service.