Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1

Sorry mind the topic, had a diff. question

Hey all, i just got the fz30 and i've been messin with it. I aws using the manual mode and the pictures seem to come out extremely dark. Its almost as if the lens cap is still on ( which its not ). Any ideas? anyhelp would be appreciated
m5b3am3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2

That can happen if you take pictures in poor lighting with settings meant for outdoor use. To brighten the picture, you should slow the shutter down (with the knob by your thumb when holding the camera) as slow as you can actually use. If you are shooting the camera hand held, make sure stabilization mode 2 is active (the button on top with the shaking hand). 1/15 is probably a good slow speed to use, though I've gone as slow as 1/8. The slower it is, the higher the chance you'll get blur from camera shake, or from the subject moving.

You also want to open the aperture as wide as you can (the knob probably right above your middle finger). The lower the aperture number, the more open the aperture is and the brighter your picture will be.

Finally, if that isn't enough, you can turn up your ISO setting. This should be your setting of last resort since it increases the amount of noise in your photo. You can adjust this setting by hitting the menu button, selecting ISO and choosing a higher number. Try to avoid using ISO 400 if possible, but if it's the only way to get a good exposure, use it.

You can activate the flash as well. There a switch on the side to open it up and it will fire automatically when you take a shot.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:01 AM   #3

m5b3am3r wrote:
Quote:
Sorry mind the topic, had a diff. question

Hey all, i just got the fz30 and i've been messin with it. I aws using the manual mode and the pictures seem to come out extremely dark. Its almost as if the lens cap is still on ( which its not ). Any ideas? anyhelp would be appreciated

If you use the manual mode and the pictures are too dark, they are obviously underexposed. I'd suggest to either use one of the automatic modes, or you'd have to get a good old fashioned exposuremeter to get it right. Do you know enough about f-stops, shutter speed and ISO settings and how they interrelate in orderto use manual mode?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:44 PM   #4

For me the Histogram is great to get more correctly exposed pictures. I have it showing on the viewers at all times. Surely if the live Histogram shows a correct exposure than the picture should be exposed correctly.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:52 PM   #5

It seems to me that this user should use the automatic mode first. Why use manual unless you really have the fundamentals of photography and exposure down?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:21 PM   #6

I totally agree ..get familiar with the camera to see what it is capable of ...then you can move on to manual settings.

rduve wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me that this user should use the automatic mode first. Why use manual unless you really have the fundamentals of photography and exposure down?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:51 PM   #7

I've found the 'National Geographic Photography field guide: secrets to taking great pictures' has helped me understand the basics of photography pretty well, and its a pretty easy read with lots of examples and diagrams to illustrate photography concepts. you can find it used or new at amazon for under $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...s&v=glance

I agree with everyone else, start out in the easier modes, like P mode where you can adjust the shutter speed/aperture with the thumb wheel -the camerawill adjust them according to your current shooting conditions. Then you get a feel for how they apply, and can work your way upto Shutter and Aperture prioritymodes, and then the daunting! (not really!!) Manual Mode!!!!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote