Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:09 PM   #11

You are a hard sell squirl ,but believe me it matters if the dot is centered.

or at least it does on these and it is why I do not like the other ones it takes time to get the camera aligned so the dot and camera are on the same thing for every shot.

Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:23 PM   #12

Gene, if the sight you're using has that crosshair reticle, you don't even NEED the red dot! just put the crosshairs over the target and go for it.

i'm not trying to be a hard sell, it's just that i've used red-dot sights many times, and i know that if the dot is properly aligned with the aiming point of the camera, it won't matter if doesn't seem"centered" to your eye when you look at it. that's why most red-dot sights don't have a reticle built in. the sight is aligned with the bore... er, lens... axis when you sight it in (which does take some time to do properly, but only needs to be done once), and after that, the camera and the sight will always be on the same thing for every shot, even if you look through the sight from an angleand the dot appears offcenter.if you put the dot on your subject, you will always be "on target" - certainly close enough that whatever you're aiming at will be properly framed. after all, it's not like you're trying to hit a soda can at a hundred yards with a rifle...

but if you prefer using the sight with the built-in reticle, that's fine... whatever works for you is what matters. for me, the open frame design is better - it makes it easier to shoot with both eyes open, which helps with rapid target acquisition and tracking., especially if i need to shift targets quickly, as i might with a flock of birds in flight or multiple vehicles on a race track.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:45 PM   #13

I guess I can not make my point but I think you may be confusing a lazer sight with a red dot sight.....These sights do not project onto the target it lines your eye to the sight to the subject... all 3 must be in a line or its no go.

Enjoy your sight.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:24 PM   #14

Gene, i have both.. a laser sight on one pistol and a red-dot on another. i've used bth many times, and i know how they work. it's not worth alienating a member of this forum over, though, so let's just leave it at that...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:49 PM   #15

Oky doky