Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:06 AM   #1

I'm new to diggys. Often when taking a photo with flash - if i am only 2-3 feet away from subject - i get a shadow that is shaped like a half circle. It is about the size of a quarter and is centered and on the bottom of the pic.

I didn't start noticing this until i put the lens hood adaptor and added a filter to the end of it. The filter is clear glass. I got it from B&H. So, i am assuming that it is good quality and is not the problem.

I'm suspecting the problem is the design of the adaptor. Last night i took the adaptor/filter OFF and did not have the shadow problem. However, when the adaptor and filter is on - i tend to get the shadow problem in the situation described above.

Any body else experience this?

How to fix it?

I dont want to go around without a filter. I like to use it for protection but not an the expense of a shadow at the bottom of my close up flash photos.

Would post image to net - but i'm still learning transferring files, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:21 AM   #2

It is totally normal.

The manual says do not use the hood when shooting with flash. This is the reason.

I don't know specifically for the FZ-5. I had a FZ-15 and bougth a 3rd party adapter which lets me shoot with flash and keep filters on.

Probably one FZ-5 user could tell us if there is such adaptor.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:59 AM   #3

Good stuff. Thank you Msantos.

So, if i want to keep a filter on it all the time, then i need to get a different kind of adaptor? It will be a total hassle to take the current adaptor off everytime i want to use the flash. What a dumb design.

Why didn't they make it like my old Canon AE-1 so that filters can screw directly to the lens? What's up with this having to attach an adaptor so that you can then attach a filter? Ugh. I don't like that.

Maybe i'll just have to be a 'gambling man' and not use a filter. That is unless someone can tell me where to get a 3rd party adaptor such as you mention below. UGH! :sad:

Thanks again for the great info! The learning curve is frustrating but every day i get a little better.

msantos wrote:
Quote:
It is totally normal.

The manual says do not use the hood when shooting with flash. This is the reason.

I don't know specifically for the FZ-5. I had a FZ-15 and bougth a 3rd party adapter which lets me shoot with flash and keep filters on.

Probably one FZ-5 user could tell us if there is such adaptor.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4

While I do not have a FZ5 I have most of the other FZ cameras and I never take the adapter off in fact I never take the hood off.

For flash photos see if you can not step back and zoom a bit to eliminate the shadow.

I would think that with the FZ5, 2X may be enough zoom, but I am not sure....one other possibility is to use an external flash.

Experiment with the zoom and see if you can find a setting your happy with.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:46 AM   #5

I believe you'll find that the shadow is from the hood; not the adapter/filter... At least that's my experience w/my FZ5...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
While I do not have a FZ5 I have most of the other FZ cameras and I never take the adapter off in fact I never take the hood off.

For flash photos see if you can not step back and zoom a bit to eliminate the shadow.
Quote:
***Have tried that. It does eliminate the shadow. However, then i have red-eye problems. Fix one problem (shadow) but create another one (red-eye)! Such is life i guess! ;-)
Quote:

I would think that with the FZ5, 2X may be enough zoom, but I am not sure....one other possibility is to use an external flash.
Quote:
***I don't have an external flash and i don't think you can put one on an f-5 can ya? It doesn't have a hot shoe. But, i don't want to spend more money and get more bulky stuff to have to carry around. Basically, i want it to work like a nice P/S camera.
Quote:
***Thanks a bunch for sharing your thoughts.

Experiment with the zoom and see if you can find a setting your happy with.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:24 AM   #7

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
I believe you'll find that the shadow is from the hood; not the adapter/filter... At least that's my experience w/my FZ5...
I have not put the hood on. Therefore, i'm getting it from the adapter would be my guess. Take the adapter/filter off and i don't have the problem. But the adapter/filter on - and i do have the problem. So, the solution seems easy - dont use the filter/adapter. But, then i worry about damaging the lens via a scratch or something. UGH!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:42 AM   #8

Interesting- From looking atmy FZ5'sflash unit's position (lower edge of the flash)to the end of the adapter/filter, I'd have to imagine it may be more of an issue with the distance to the subject (2-3'?) that is causing the shadow (draw a line from the lower edge of flash unit to top of adapter/filter edge).

Or, could it be that yourflash popup is not fully extending vertically? I measured the lower edge ofmy flash to be ~15mm above the flat of the flash casing when opened. Then, too, my Hoya UV(O) is about 3.8mm wide. These could also becontributing issues...

Like you, I'd hate to have remember to remove the adapter and or to zoom everytime attempting a closeup w/flash...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:44 AM   #9

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
Would post image to net - but i'm still learning transferring files, etc.
Meant to suggest you try sizing the photo to 800x600, save to file and click on the below browse button to upload the photo...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:36 PM   #10

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Interesting- From looking atmy FZ5'sflash unit's position (lower edge of the flash)to the end of the adapter/filter, I'd have to imagine it may be more of an issue with the distance to the subject (2-3'?) that is causing the shadow (draw a line from the lower edge of flash unit to top of adapter/filter edge).
Quote:
***When i am 2-3 feet from subject without adapter, no shadow. When i am the same with the adapter - usually i get the shadow.
Quote:

Or, could it be that yourflash popup is not fully extending vertically? I measured the lower edge ofmy flash to be ~15mm above the flat of the flash casing when opened.
Quote:
***Mine measures one inch tall to thetop corner of the plastic with the ruler placed on the bottom edge of the casing. Does yours measure the same?
Quote:
Then, too, my Hoya UV(O) is about 3.8mm wide. These could also becontributing issues...

Like you, I'd hate to have remember to remove the adapter and or to zoom everytime attempting a closeup w/flash...
Quote:
***So, do you keep a filter on yours at all times? What photo editing software do you use? And, do you like your F-5?
Quote:
Thanks a bunch.